1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bye, Bye, Lightroom ...

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by oldracer, Oct 6, 2015.

1. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/06/us-adobe-outlook-idUSKCN0S02P720151006) reports the following:

"The company is expecting a $200 million hit on revenue as a result of the stronger dollar, and a $100 million hit as Adobe's "last material businesses are transitioning to ratable revenue."

"Adobe has been switching to web-based subscriptions from traditional licensed software to help attract more predictable recurring revenue.

"Acrobat, Elements and Lightroom are among the last of the products to transition to web-based subscription."

So, do you want to use your LR catalog to find a photo from a couple of years ago? Have you paid Adobe this month? No? Too bad.

Basically, your property will now "transition" into being Adobe's property. They will be happy to rent access to you.

Keeping and running an old copy is a temporary workaround. When your camera vendor comes out with a new RAW file, only the new subscription LR version will be able to read it. Pay up, buddy. Not once. Every month from now on.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    So what is new? Adobe announced CC with subscription plans long ago. If not CC, there is always the welcoming arms of Capture 1 Pro for $299. That is more than 2 years of Photography CC subscriptions...and does not have the capabilities of LR + PS. Compared to the cost of camera bodies and good lenses, software is relatively inexpensive.

3. Generationfourth

Generationfourth Mu-43 Regular

Sep 11, 2015
    This is the same exact post everyone was making when Adobe initially announced that PS, AI, ID, etc would go to the cloud.

4. bacil

bacil Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2012
    Minnesota
    Welcome to the future of business.:)

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    It appears that they will stop selling the packaged app, which they said they had "no plans" to do. So if you are a user and want to continue you will have to pay them ad infinitum just to have access to your own property.

PS is a little different because there are other apps that can access many of the available image formats, so with some careful planning a user can ditch PS without losing access to his/her property. Both the catalog and the soft edits in LR can be accessed only from LR, though, so the best escape you can make is to go through all your edited photos and export them to another format, then kiss goodbye to all the work you put into your well-organized catalog.

6. Unless they move updates of the DNG Converter to a subscription only service, you can continue to run older versions of Lightroom and still merrily purchase every new camera that comes along.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    When I bought my GX7 I had to buy a newer version of LR in order to get the RAW converter that would handle the GX7. I think that behavior is easy to predict. If they want to collect subscription revenue, why would they enable people to avoid it by giving them a purchasable workaround?

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I've been trying to use Lightroom for a while now (transitioning from Aperture). All my files are sitting in my computer's native file system. Lightroom catalogs them but there's no restriction getting to them from other applications or through the native file system.

If I stop paying my subscription they're not going to suddenly disappear from my hard drive to be held hostage by Adobe.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Long ago????? 2 years 3 months = long ago?????

The cost is only one issue alone - for me the perpetual vs rented license is the major issue! If something unexpected occurred and I could not make monthly/annual payments I'd still have software to ply my profession.

Camera bodies and lenses I own and can use them till I die, sell, or loose them. Rented software, well, it's only worth something if I keep paying!

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Obviously, it is a popular option as millions have taken advantage of it. There are plenty of other options out there if lightroom is not your thing. I used to use ACDsee and they are decent. Plus there are other options more expensive and also free options.

I've got a lot of tin foil I'll gladly send for free though if that helps. :D

Seriously though, is this such a great big deal??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Currently the workaround is free because the DNG converter is a free download, most recently updated on the 5th October. The carrot they leave dangling is that the only way to get most up-to-date version of their software is to pay for it. I would need Lightroom 5 to directly open the raw files from my E-M1, but instead I am processing them with Lightroom 4 after converting the ORFs to DNGs.

12. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    While I am no fan of subscription models, I do believe that you have limited access to LR's feature set if you stop your subscription. I believe the Develop module is not available, but parts of the Library module are. So, you do have some access, and you can always purchase a month subscription if you need to at a later date.

--Ken

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That article is hardly the definitive proof of what you say. In fact, it has to be interpreted a certain way even to imply it!

14. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    You didn't have to do that at all. Adobe provide the raw converter for free to all, in software called Adobe DNG Converter. Yes, there are pros and cons to using DNG, but they are really quite minor and not serious and definitely irrelevant to image quality. If you want to use Adobe products forever, and you hate paying $10-20 a month for the right, then the option above is for you.

IMHO this thread is a beat-up. Even though I, too, am in the same position as oldracer, using LR6 desktop after having to decide between an upgrade from LR5 or using DNG Converter when I bought my M5II. I made the choice to upgrade. If desktop disappears and I get a future camera, I will have to decide between LR CC and DNG Converter and other options. I'll make the decision when I come to it. We photo-hobbyists have to make decisions like that on an ongoing basis as we go.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    Walter
    The only thing I dislike about LR subscription is how long it takes to start. I go and get a cup of coffee as it starts. I also had my visa card stolen and so had to cancel it. For a time I was without subscription and so couldn't access LR. The only thing I needed in LR6 that isn't in LR5 is photomerge. Otherwise I'd still be using LR5. Maybe if things get tight I'll switch back.

16. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    One of the main drivers for Adobe's, and others, web only business model is because of all of the pirated software CD's. Frankly, I find the subscription model to be more cost effective than paying full price for the software and then the annual updates. I also like the fact that the software is always the newest version.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Fred, after you've used LR for a while you will probably have invested considerable time in rating photos (stars, etc.), adding keywords, and creating collections. That's just in the Library. All of this work will be lost if they get you hooked on a subscription and you decide to stop paying. Same thing in Develop; all those complex nondestructive edits will be gone and you will only have the benefit of them if you have exported the results to a universal format. It's really not about the original photos. It's about all the work we invest using LR's excellent features that over time will now become hostage to Adobe's subscription demands.

I would be pleased to know if there is, in the license agreement and guaranteed in perpetuity, a promise that we will always be able to get limited access to our work and that we will always have the option of just buying full access for just a month. That will probably be the license agreement delivered by a flying pig. Trust is not a wise strategy, IMO.

18. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    It's not web only, in fact all software is installed on local computer and only authentication part need internet access.
    But computer game makers already went through this model and it was pirated just as easy as standalone software.

19. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I meant download from the internet and used with authentication.

20. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I never expect to be able to use specific features of any software forever. Companies go out of business or stop supporting products. They are in business for the benefit of the stockholders not for me. I trust companies to always do what the current management thinks is best for the company (or possibly for themselves). Not what I think is best for the company. Not what's best for me. Someday Adobe will be a footnote in the history books.

It's always my responsibility to safeguard my work.

Fred

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1