Bye bye GX7?

val

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
William
Must be something worthy in the kitchen to stop making the GX7 barely a year later.

Talanis

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Eric Cote
I was surprised to read that this morning. Maybe a GX8 for Photokina. I love my GX7.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Maybe Panasonic has a new 4K camera coming? There was a rumor a while ago that Panasonic what going to simplify to the GM and GH lines, but I really didn't believe it. This would be really unexpected (to me at least).

Livnius

Super Moderator
Real Name
Joe
I think Panasonic has done well out of the GX7 and the entire line being discontinued would be a complete surprise...I've no doubt there will be a GX8 at some point.

Besides, this wouldn't be the first time a retailer has tagged a product as 'discontinued' in complete error.

I think its a rocking camera...I reach for mine before the EM1 quite regularly.

dombi

Mu-43 Regular
Discounted or discontinued.
Similar looking words, with different meanings.

I think 43rumors misunderstood something...

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
The GX7 on looks alone is the µ43 camera I desire the most, so if a GX8 is announced or the line merges with the G series I would be quite happy if it causes prices to drop. That being said it would not be the first time a rumours site had made a mistake or a retailer put the wrong info up. Maybe they are going to put 4k in there but surely that would kill the remaining GH3's value, but it would certainly make it more desirable to many over say the alpha 6000, could see 4k for a time being the video equivalent of the MP wars.

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly
Maybe it's not selling to the non-enthusiast public in sufficient numbers? I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Maybe it's not selling to the non-enthusiast public in sufficient numbers? I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild :-(

By that standard, the entire Mu43 system would be gone. I've seen less than 10 mu43 cameras of any kind in the wild. Of course, I live where those stupid people only buy Canikons.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
Going round the zoo yesterday I did notice three or four M43 cameras and a few big Canons, but with massive white lenses attached they are a lot easier to spot. I have seen plenty M43 cameras in the wild along with other mirror free cameras, there seems to be more as time goes on also.

krugorg

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Who knows if the rumor is true; but rapid product refresh seems to be the norm with compact camera systems.

By that standard, the entire Mu43 system would be gone. I've seen less than 10 mu43 cameras of any kind in the wild. Of course, I live where those stupid people only buy Canikons.

Haha +1 I like it! For me, it is kind of liking the band that most people have never heard about. :smile:

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't believe this for one second. There's no way the GX7 is taking the plunge before a GX8 is announced. I do believe it will be replaced this year - but this is surely just a misunderstanding.

As for the GX8, my hope is that they will take the video features from the G6 and incorporate them into the GX series - along with 4k resolution, of course.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I really love the design and performance of the GX7, but missed my chance to pick one up new at a really good price back in December (and I am now toting an E-M1). But, it makes a bit of sense to annoounce its departure before announcing its replacement. Those that have wanted one will be a bit more inclined to buy one. And, for those that do, and have really bad GAS, they will also be inclined to buy its replacement when it is announced. Possibly less inventory of old stock and possibly increased slaes of new stock. It is a possibility.

--Ken

CiaranCReilly

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Ciaran Reilly

I've seen a good few Olympus Pens and E-M5s, and actually lots of GH2s and GH3s around Dublin, but not yet a GX7. I just don't think it's appealing to Joe Public who walks into a big box electronics store the way a cheaper Pen or a DSLR-like E-M5 or GH3 is. You need to know that you want to get a GX7 or an E-P5 for that matter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom