1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

BW settings

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by ymiclassroom, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ymiclassroom

ymiclassroom Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2013
    Darien, CT
    A bit embarrassed to ask but guess this is what a Forum is all about.....been shooting Leica and Fuji for the past 10 years--mostly black and white street photography with little in the way of post processing. The Leica in particular generates deep, rich bw images and the Fuji as well but not to the degree of the Leica...have only been using M43/EP5 for a few months and although I enjoy the IQ....trying to replicate the richness of the bw images compared to the Leica is a real challenge---it can be done in pp but really trying to avoid it unless it's to make some minor crop adjustments....wondering if anyone has some tips to share relating to their bw settings.

Currently using Oly EP5 along with Panasonic 12-35, Olympus 12mm, 17mm, 25mm, 45mm and 40-150.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

2. kadamnation

kadamnation Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2013
    Boston, MA
    I hate to say it, but you're not likely to get Leica-level depth in B&W on even the best micro 4/3 camera without a little post processing :) I've seen people post beautiful images here by converting their RAW files in Lightroom or Nik Silver efex pro, though.

For an out-of-camera compromise, what I've done is to customize my Custom color setting to mimic Mono, but with the contrast bumped all the way up. I've also tried playing a bit with colored filters, but so far the OOC jpg files havn't gained much from that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    What model Leica are you referring to?

4. ymiclassroom

Nov 19, 2013
    Darien, CT
    Thanks....when I referred to "I can make it happen with pp" it's actually with Nik Silver Pro.

5. ymiclassroom

Nov 19, 2013
    Darien, CT
    I have both M6 and M8---but for comparative purposes was using the M8 since it's digital.

6. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    OK, comparing the M8 with the E-P5:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-PEN-E-P5-versus-Leica-M8___883_250

Have a look a the 'Measurements' tab and you will see there is nothing technical to stop the E-P5 from providing the tonality you seek.

It is probably a matter of choosing the appropriate in-camera settings. (I presume you are using camera jpeg files). Hopefully an E-P5 expert can chime in with suggestions.

The other option is to make a preset for your file importing software that makes the adjustment automatically when transferring files to your PC.

Good luck, hope this helps a little.

7. ymiclassroom

Nov 19, 2013
    Darien, CT
    Thanks much...really appreciate the response and yes...for comparative purposes was also shooting jpeg.

8. ymiclassroom

Nov 19, 2013
    Darien, CT
    The measurements tab is quite interesting and revealing....I'll continue to adjust the in-camera settings....again, thanks much.

QUOTE=T N Args;596359]OK, comparing the M8 with the E-P5:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Olympus-PEN-E-P5-versus-Leica-M8___883_250

Have a look a the 'Measurements' tab and you will see there is nothing technical to stop the E-P5 from providing the tonality you seek.

It is probably a matter of choosing the appropriate in-camera settings. (I presume you are using camera jpeg files). Hopefully an E-P5 expert can chime in with suggestions.

The other option is to make a preset for your file importing software that makes the adjustment automatically when transferring files to your PC.

Good luck, hope this helps a little.[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 1
  9. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    [/QUOTE]

Let me know what you come up with.. I would be interested in your conclusion. I looked at the measurements but have no idea how to read it.. may need to research how to read later..

thx

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Your mention of the 'missing richness' suggests you need a little more contrast dialed in for the E-P5 images. When a sensor with more dynamic range records its data into an image file, it will display less contrast than an image recorded by a sensor with less dynamic range. A sensor that records less dynamic range will clip much more quickly, producing more qualitative contrast. The sensor that records more dynamic range will then actually appear to have less contrast.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ymiclassroom

Nov 19, 2013
    Darien, CT
    Thanks for the suggestion.

12. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Well, you could still use a yellow filter on a digital camera if you really wanted to stay away from post-processing; however, I'd certainly encourage you that avoiding post-processing your digital stuff is like avoiding developing your film back in the day. Hard to get great images if you cut it out! ☺

13. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    I agree. Not sure what you can tune in camera settings, but you are likely looking at more conservative settings for contrast, micro-contrast and sharpness, compared to the cameras that have results more in line with what you are looking for. FWIW, I don't see shooting RAW and correcting in Post as cheating, and you can probably try to store a preset you like, alternatively try something like PSKiss Cross camera DNG profile. Looks like they have made one for your particular camera that can "convert" to M9 among others. Disclaimer; Not associated with them, and have never tried the product, but some people seem to like it, and pretty cheap.