Buying used gear???

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Shutterdad, Dec 13, 2015.

1. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    I'm looking for experiences from people buying used gear from Adorama. I've purchased from Keh, Cameta, and B&H for several years, and on only time have I ever had to return an item due to problems. This time I'm looking at buying a camera body. If anybody has purchased used gear from Adorama, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Don't know about Adorama, but with the exception of my 17.1.8, all my gear has been bought used - all from private buyers either on forums, or occasionally, on e-Bay. I've yet to have a bad experience.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Adorama is fine. Bandh too. They are fine to deal with

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Like pdk42 I buy virtually all my gear used. Some locally on CraigsList, some on eBay, but probably the majority sight unseen on sites like this one. I did buy one of my GX7 bodies new because it had just been introduced and I wanted it for a trip that I was taking in two weeks.

All the companies you mention, including Adorama, AFIK are fine companies. I'm sure Adorama will do well for you. Personally I have bought small things new from B&H and Adorama and been very happy with the service. I don't look to them for used equipment because their prices seem to be higher than I can get elsewhere.

I love the early adopters. I buy their stuff after they get tired of it and typically pay seventy cents on the dollar or even less. I don't buy new cars, either, when I can get one-year-old for much less.

Anywhere you buy used has risk, but I don't recall ever being burned. If I do get burned on an item someday, it won't bother me. Its cost will be far less than I have saved over he years buying used equipment the way I do.

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Likewise.

I bought my GX1 open box and my GX7 new because the prices were both lower than what the Used market was going for. The only lenses I've bought new have been the 7mm Fisheye and now the Panasonic 25mm/1.7, again because the sale prices were hard to beat.

I have never had a bad experience with a used lens.

6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I own three cameras and eleven lenses, and everything except two lenses were purchased used from private sellers (here, fredmiranda, eBay), and I have yet to have any issues with any of them. If you want the piece of mind, go ahead and buy from a store but you can typically get a better deal buying direct from a seller rather than going through a middle man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Adorama is fine.

I've purchased from Adorama, BH, and KEH. I like KEH the most and generally sell my used stuff to them when they have a rep in my area locally.

8. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    SELLING on Adorama is a bit old-school: you'll get a phone call confirming what you're selling and the valuation and how you want payment. Otherwise, I've had good experience buying AND selling from Adorama and B&H, along with this forum and others.

Like many here, almost all of my gear is used. The only NEW kit was when I was a first adopter...I remember I was one of the first who paid fully price for the single Sigma 30/2.8 lens, when not less than three months later, Sigma would sell both the 30/2.8 AND the 19/2.8 for the same price as the single lens!

Never again.

I also was on the wait list for the BCL-9 fisheye, but returned it to amazon after a few weeks.

I also find that I TRADE a lot of gear...this is almost always the better deal for both parties since no funds are exchanged - only equivalent kit with similar value and condition.

9. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    A majority of my gear is used and purchased through Keh and B&H and most were bargain grade. I've bought refurbs through Cameta. I was about to pull the trigger on Keh and buy a used body and I literally refreshed the page and it was gone. Thanks for the responses.

10. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Adorama are good people. I doubt you will have a problem but if you do, they will take care of you.

11. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Haven't purchased anything used from Adorama, but having dealt with them over the years, know that if a problem should arise, Helen Oster (their web rep) is always helpful, and usually can resolve most problems to your satisfaction.

12. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    OK -- let me give a tiny bit of honesty. I have dealt with B&H and Adorama a lot over the years. I've been more B&H lately. I don't think I've purchased from Adorama in over a year, but I never had any complaints.

HOWEVER I live in Boston/northeast, and I will say both organizations are very "New York." If you are from the more polite/laid back portion of the country and aren't used to the northeast, you can sometimes be put off by the sales folks. They are super knowledgeable and will treat you honestly, but I have seen from time to time folks from more like the mid-west, complain about people being rude. I think it's a cultural thing. I've never found them rude, but rushed and focused, yes indeed.

If you've never been to B and H and you love photo gear, then you have to get to B&H at least one. They're just a few blocks from Penn Station. It's like a tourist destination for tech folks. Believe me, it's worth it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    I bought a 75 1,8 from adorama. It looked brand new. I prefer to buy used from one of those sites or the forum, it addresses the problems in the market for lemons.

-Joe

15. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I bought a "used" lens from Adorama. It was a 60mm Macro. It came in the box as new and still had the protective film on the focus scale and the lens cap.

16. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I'd prefer to just cut out the middle man and buy direct (here, Craigslist, ebay, Fredmiranda), but Adorama is generally a positive place to do business.

17. tkbslc

I do that generally. But sometimes you can get a warranty on used gear (3-6 months) when buying from a used dealer and often the prices aren't that far off!

Selling, I always try to cut out the middle man. Adorama, KEH, etc need margin so you only get about half the going ebay rate for gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. flipmack

flipmack Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2012
    irvine, CA
    I don't sell on eBay anymore. They really gouge you on fees nowadays. I may sell on eBay if it already has little value for me...

19. Shutterdad

Shutterdad Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Big D
    Jody
    Not a fan of selling on EBay either. I basically use them as a guide for pricing.

20. tkbslc

I love ebay. Gear ALWAYS sells on ebay. Sure they stick you with 10% fee, but prices on ebay are at least 5-10% higher than the regular used market. So it's really not as bad as it seems. Case in point, I was going to have to take $300 to sell my 60mm Macro through forums. I got $350 on ebay BIN within a few days. After the fee, I'm still ahead $20 or so.

I typically try to sell it on forums for 2 weeks and if not, I throw it on ebay and it is always gone in 7 days.

• Agree Agree x 1