1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying used and cheap lens in UK

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by lukyvictor, Sep 6, 2012.

1. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Hi all

This is my first post in here, hopefully I pick the right section to ask my question.

I am from UK, and I have recently starting photography as a hobby, and to start with, I have previously purchased a Panasonic G2 with the bundled 14-42mm kit lens from a friend for a bargain price.

I have played it for a little while, and now would like to buy some additional lens. However, searching on the internet, a new lens usually costs quite a lot.
    I wonder whether you guys have some recommended some trusted sources or professional forums in UK that do trading of second hand lens please.

I know there is a trade section in here, however a lot of the sellers are not from UK, so considering the shipping it may not be so convenient. (ButI do know there are posts from UK, so hopefully those people can advise me on this question!)

At the end of the day, I would like to know where I can get a cheap but good condition second hand lens, let say some old SLR or Four Third lens (I understand they can only be used with MF), so I may be able to do something fancy to make more fun in this photography world!!

P.S Perhaps I can propose to have an individual section for Europe, or for UK only, just to make the members find threads more easily...

Thank you very much

2. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Ebay ? Check feedback carefully.

3. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    Michael
    Easiest place to get cheap second-hand lenses is your local camera shop (proper one, not a chain only selling new stuff). There you can see the lenses and have a play first, and they are not usually sold at a premium. Saw a lovely Tamron 80-210 F3.8-4 macro zoom yesterday for £25, and am sorely tempted!

Michael

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

4. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    Hi Victor, Talk Photography™ is almost entirely UK photographers - there's a lot of trading there. It's mostly Canon/Nikon stuff but more µ43 starting to come up.

5. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    The only trouble with Talk Photography is that you have to be a member for 60 days and make 25 (useful) posts before you get access to the sale forums.

6. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    It is certainly one of the place that I could think of, but I am just hoping there is a forum like this one mu-43, but a UK version. Since I am assuming all the members in such forum should have respect to each other, as we all like photography, so there is a higher possibility to get some good and cheap lens, with a minimum risk

7. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    This is exactly what I want and hope for, because I don't feel like investing too much at this time as I am really just a newbie. However, I am living in such a small town, so forums on internet may be easier for me to buy stuff.

By the way, do you know any store name that actually do business like this? selling second hand/old lens mainly? In any big cities?

8. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Thank you very much for your reply, I will definitely look into it.

9. zerodi

zerodi Mu-43 Regular

Jun 25, 2012
    Asia.Ph
    I just got a Konica 50mm f1.7 and 40mm f1.8 lens all for £60 from ebay, Ive been using my EM5 for 3 months and Manual focusing is easy now - I want the PL25 & 7-14 but just cant afford them :(

10. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Trouble? I think that is an excellent idea and I would like to see something simlar on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    what about Olympus UK E-System User Group. This is a friendly UK forum which is first and foremost Olympus but lots of Panasonic stuff as well as other m43 compatible lenses. If you really want legacy, do try a local photo shop if you're lucky enough to still have such a thing as opposed to a useless chain like Jessops or Curry/PCworld.

David

12. pjcard

pjcard Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    I wouldn't, if I couldn't have accessed them I couldn't have got a bargin 20 1.7. Oh right, keeping the bargins for yourself? :biggrin:

13. ante

ante Mu-43 Regular

Jul 15, 2012
    Denmark
    I have gotten all my legacy lenses from local flea markets and thrift stores (charity stores). A few have been in bad shape, but many of them in perfect condition. And the average price so far is around 3 pounds per lens. Often there is an old camera attached as a rear cap. :biggrin: Just a tip, if you come to town some day (I live in a small town myself).

• Like Like x 1
  14. brutto

brutto Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 17, 2011
    I've bought several lenses from Ffords. On close inspection the condition has always been better than described. They offer a guarantee and 7-day no-quibble money-back guarantee so if you don't like a lens you can return it. Their prices may be a tad higher than ebay (not always) but the risks are lower. You can buy from the website or call them and they will describe the lens in great detail which I always find very helpful.

• Like Like x 3
  15. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    This is exactly what I want, something old, cheap, but workable, and affordable!!!

Btw, what are those lens mount please? what adapter do you use please?

16. lukyvictor

lukyvictor Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Thanks for your useful resource, I will have a look into it.

17. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Mathers of Lancashire are a very good source and I have purchased from them before - their service and quality is outstanding and they are knowledgable to talk to on the phone.

They quite often split kits so usually have unboxed / unused lenses on hand as well as a supply of used ones in good condition.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Bobrob

Bobrob Mu-43 Rookie

For those in the UK, take a look at Ffordes Photographic for used micro4/3 gear, (and other stuff old and new). I am not sure if they ship overseas.
    I have dealt with them a couple of times, first to sell my 35mm Nikon gear, and lately to buy a used EPl-1, lens and VF2. I am in no way connected to the company, but find them very reliable, speedy and helpful. I can't fault their service.

19. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    The best value for money native Micro Four Thirds lens is the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 pancake - examples can be had on eBay for very good prices, and it's a useful focal length.