buying used 45mm f1.8 lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by shockaaa, Dec 30, 2012.

1. shockaaa

shockaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    is this lens made in Japan or China?
    is there any movement(slight) if you move the focus ring up and down? rather than just turn to focus
    what's the used price for this lens?

only reason is I just passed up a deal from Kijiji, for some reason it looked like a fake:
    -guy said he bought it from B&H, 7 months old
    -had a small hairline or mark on the glass
    -***lens says "Made in China" but has a Korean sticker covering the "Made in" print on the box. (Ive seen a lot of this lens for sale on eBay going for arond $330)..he was asking $350
    -I asked him why is this lens made in China but the box has a Korean sticker? ...replied with "errr...maybe B&H sells grey market products"

Im in Canada btw
  2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    You might try to find a refurbished one, mine was. I paid I think $350 USD for it.

The lens doesn't move back and forth, it focuses internally (I think that's what you're asking).

$320-ish seems about right for used, although they don't pop up as much as a lot of people are pleased with it.

Yes the lens is made in China.

My $.02: $350 for a hairline mark (which I'm sure won't do too much to the optical quality, as long as his description of it is accurate) seems a little high, as you could probably get one for that price without any defects used, you'd just have to be patient and spring on one when it pops up. Shopping around, the retail is $400 USD, but can be found new for $370-380 USD as well.
  3. thomastaesu

thomastaesu Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2012
    ATL, GA
    You can buy this lens from Korean sellers on ebay new around $320 including shipping.

My guess is that is where he got it and trying to make a profit. Can he produce paperwork from b&h?

If you have any doubt you should stay way.
  4. merosen

merosen Mu-43 Regular

Jun 14, 2012
    Somerville (Boston), MA
    For $50 more you get a new one with warranty
    325 - 330 used would be a good deal
  5. shockaaa

shockaaa Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    Yea ...I also think he probably got it from korea. I asked him if he had the invoice from BH, he said he didnt.

oh and he dropped the price to $340