Buying Second hand lens?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by avesoriano, Jul 12, 2013.

1. avesoriano

avesoriano Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    i own an olympus omd with a kit lens of 12- 50 mm. I am thinking of buying myself a new lens. what are your 2cents for buying second hand ones?

i heard Leica brand though expensive is regarded as best by most photographers. is it advisable to buy second hand lenses?

2. brianb032

brianb032 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2011
    N.Carolina
    I do it all the time and I've only had one issue where the seller never mentioned sand in the focusing barrel. Most of my experiences have been positive though, so I see no reason why you shouldn't consider buying used if the price is right. Sometimes you save enough to buy meals for a week or even another lens.

3. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Don't take this the wrong way...but when I see someone say "I hear Leica's a good brand, maybe I should get me some of that" I don't think they're ready for it.

Figure out your shooting style. Figure out what you want, focal length, aperture, etc...Yes, Leica makes great glass...but they're all manual (I'm not counting the Pan-Leicas here), so that's a big downside. You'll have to use adapters. They may be bulky and heavy compared to equivalent Panasonic or Olympus lenses, etc.

As for used lenses...yeah, buying them used is safe, but make sure you buy from a reputable seller or check it out in person. I've bought a ton of used lenses, and only had an issue with one...which I got my brother to pick up for me and he had no idea what to look for...the lens had stuck aperture blades the seller failed to mention.

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm basically with Lowrider on your Leica comment, which set off similar red flags for me.

Before you go buying another lens, you need to identify what it is about the kit lens that is not allowing you to make the images you'd like to. Do you want something with more reach? Do you need a faster lens? Do you want something more compact? Until you can identify what you're looking for, you're never going to be able to find it.

As far as buying used, lenses are like anything else: you need to put in a bit more effort to buy used, but the pay-off can be worth it. I haven't ever bought a brand new lens and at this point I could barely envision myself ever doing so. If you do want to jump into used lenses, this thread can provide you with a good base of knowledge.

5. avesoriano

avesoriano Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2012
    Honestly i am just new into photography. I bought the omd last year because of its compact design. I liked the idea of being able to use different lenses. Ive never tried other brands so i have no idea if what some people say its true. Im just curious if its just brand marketing or is leica really superior in comparison to the other brands. I'm not really lusting over it. I just thought that if i will invest into something i might as well get the best.

Should i take it that you guys don't agree that Leica is not to superior choice?

The kit lens is very impressive especially during normal occasions and my photo walk. There are several times though that i couldn't help but wish for a wider lens (pictures of churches and temples) and a lens with a higher zoom (details of the the roof and the cathedrals clock )

I am presently trying out travel photography.

DeejayK and lowrider have you bought your second hand lenses online?

6. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    There's nothing wrong with Leica lenses per se, in fact they can be quite excellent. But I would discourage you from looking at a particular BRAND and rather to focus more on a lenses FUNCTION.

Based on where you've found the kit lens lacking, here's what I'd recommend: Wider lens: Panasonic 7-14 (best, most expensive), Olympus 9-18 (good, slightly cheaper) or Samsung 7.5mm fisheye (budget but still quite good). More reach: Olympus 40-150 or Panasonic 45-175.

Yes, I've bought lenses online. The buy-sell forum on this site would be the first place I would recommend you look.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Depends on what you shoot, a certain camera system may or may not be the best. A leica can not beat the DSLR monsters like Canon/Nikon in sports etc...

Also, you do realize that Leica is in another level altogether... I mean investing in a whole system in m43 may be equivalent to the cost of a single Leica lens. If you need a wide angle lens you can first try the Oly 9-18 or Pana 7-14mm and there are many longer telephotos in the m43 system as well.

It's always better to test the water first with cheaper stuff first until you are sure about what you want or need before you invest more IMHO.:smile:

8. goodluckman61

goodluckman61 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    Need Help buying used lenses also

I just joined this forum 10 minutes ago so forgive for not having my profile up!

Any one know about lenses?
    I want to buy a 50mm 1.4 lens for my GH1.
    I am told that Olympus, then Nikon, and lastly Canon are the top 3 lenses to look for. I am interested in shooting video.

I read on some post maybe DP review that one should check the serial number on the lens to determine if it is a newer or older lens which the quality may differ. How do I do it?
    Does this sound right? I am new to this GH1 and know nothing about lenses!

Oh is Ebay & B&H the only place for lenses? They seem real pricy for an old manual lens. But what do I know?

9. Vague

Vague Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Welcome to the forum..

Well, what you need is a Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 (50mm equiv.) a very good lens, priced at approx $500 used. (check here in the forum>>Market Place>>Member buy, sell and trade)

10. goodluckman61

goodluckman61 New to Mu-43

Jul 13, 2013
    I am just starting out and even if I could afford that lens I do not have the skill set to see the quality yet!

11. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Welcome to the forum. A 50mm f/1.4 (a.k.a. "nifty fifty") is a great place to start if you're thinking about trying adapted lenses.

When it comes to which brand to choose, I don't believe that any one is “best". I contend you'll find almost as much variance among examples from the same brand as you will between brands, so evaluating the individual lens is key. A lens from any of the major manufacturers (Canon, Nikon, Olympus, Minolta, Pentax, Konica) that is in good shape should work well for your purposes.

All that said my personal bias slants towards Canon. The Olympus is going to be the smallest lens of the bunch. The Konica will have the slimmest adapter. If you ask around here you'll find others who swear by Nikon, Pentax (especially old Takumars) and Minolta.

As far as looking for particular serial numbers, I'm not sure how much value that has except in cases where a lens' design changed over time. For example, there have been at least 3-4 different Canon 50/1.4s over the years. I wouldn't recommend you chase any particular model and instead focus simply on finding a lens that's in good condition.

The place I'd recommend to start looking for old lenses is KEH.com. They'll give you an honest (in my experience very conservative) evaluation of the lens' condition and their prices are pretty decent. You might pay a bit more than you would on eBay, but there's no hassle and no surprises.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

12. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I actually would NOT recommend a Canon manual lens to someone who's new to the brand, not because of their optics, which are excellent, but because of the complexity of the FD lens mount - which can be really finicky and is much trickier than any conventional bayonet mount.

My take is that, given tha prices that they sell for in the used market, the Konica and Minolta lenses tend to be the best values in the 50mm space.

13. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Good point about Canon. I struggled with the FL/FD mount lenses and adapters for a bit, but once I took 15 minutes to sit down and figure out how it works I haven't had any trouble. It's worth considering, but it's not a factor I would use to eliminate these lenses altogether.

I've found that Konica lenses can often be found quite cheap. I attribute this to the fact that the brand is essentially dead (having merged with Minolta and then more or less subsumed by Sony) and also due to the fact that the design's shorter register means the lenses can't be adapted for user on any "modern" SLRs.

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Generally speaking, Canon mount lenses can be worth the trouble of dealing with the mount - especially in the case of long fast glass - but given the common availability of 50mm lenses from every brand, I wouldn't go to the trouble of dealing with the Canon mount for a nifty fifty. OTOH, I just got a STEAL of a mint condition Vivitar Series 1 200mm f3 lens for $47 all in in the C-FD mount - that was worth putting up with the mount issue for.

And the shorter register for the Konica lenses means that the lenses (especially their later ones) with their adapters, are quite compact - I am using a Konica Hexanon 50mm f1.8 as mu current nifty-fifty of choice that is even smaller with it's adapter than the Olympus 50mm f1.8