Buying reconditioned lenses from Olympus

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by PatrickNSF, Feb 20, 2014.

1. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    I'd be interested in anyone's experience with buying reconditioned lenses directly from Olympus, and things I should look out for. The return policy is fine – 30 days – but the warranty period seems a little short to me (i.e., 90 days). My guess is that I'll have time to make sure the lens functions properly within the 30-day period, and use a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty (if I still have one that offers this). Thanks.

2. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I bought one lens from them as a refurb. The packaging was not too great but I was very happy with the lens. It looked and worked flawlessly for me.

Also consider Cameta. They have some good Oly refurb deals.

• Like Like x 2
  3. darcius1

darcius1 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Sandwich Isles
    No problems with packaging or product on several occasions.

• Like Like x 1
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I bought my 18-180mm Olympus refurb from Cameta, it's been fine. I've actually heard it said that sometimes a refurb is actually better, as it goes through an individual rebuild/fix/calibration, so is no longer a mass produced item (in a sense).

• Like Like x 1
  5. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    Thanks for the replies. I've been so impressed with what I've been getting with the 12-40/2.8 and 17/1.8 (compared to what I've been getting with my Sony A77) that I'm going to bite the bullet and jump on a 75/1.8 when I find the right deal. My goal is to simplify and consolidate everything to m43 (apart from my RX100).

6. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I bought a 9-18mm and it was indistinguishable from new. I mean, perfect. Needless to say, I was happy.

7. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Well I checked a few minutes ago, they were $559 at the Olympus referb store.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You can also buy the standard extended warranty that Olympus offers, and apply it to a refurb.

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have not bought any Oly refurbs, but I have bought a few Nikon refurbs over the years. Other than the warranty being short - which Cameta makes up with their own warranty - I don't think there are any reasons to hesitate. In fact, I have often thought that the refurbs, having been field tested before you purchase them, may in fact be more reliable over the long haul.

10. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    If you find a credit card that doubles warranties for refurb gear, let me know as I'd love to get one. Most don't double warranty on anything refurbished or used.

That said I've bought the following refurbished stuff from Oly:
    • E-PL1 with 14-42
    • E-PM2 with 14-42
    • E-PM1 body only

Everything looked brand new except the E-PM1, it has scratches on the screen and bottom of the body.

11. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    Thanks for the tip. I just (quickly) read through the terms of my AMEX, and it appears that refurbished products are not excluded from the double warranty protection. I probably should read it more closely, but...

• Like Like x 1
  12. yossarian123

yossarian123 New to Mu-43

Feb 3, 2014
    My refurb black 75/1.8 should be here on Monday. I'll let you know how it does.

• Like Like x 1
  13. -Dan-

-Dan- Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Got my EM5 + 12-42r from it. Very happy and couldn't tell difference from new

14. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    My 75mm should be here next Thursday, fingers crossed there are no issues

15. ballhog

ballhog New to Mu-43

Mar 29, 2012
    The Olympus refurb stuff is great. I have purchased a few items and never have any issues. you should be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    Thanks, again, for the replies. Ended up with the 45/1.8 and 75/1.8 (though the 75 didn't go through and is on backorder).

17. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Got both my E-M5 and 12-40, both look brand new. So 7 out of 8 refurb oly purchases have looked brand new, not bad odds, especially given the fact that you can return if you are not happy.

18. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    Just picked up a refurb Olympus 17mm.1.8 lens and could not be happier. I got it through Cameta Camera on Long Island (they seem to be the only NYC dealer that Olympus gives some of their refurbs to) and the lens looks like brand new.

19. PatrickNSF

PatrickNSF Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Patrick
    Received my first reconditioned lens - the 45/1.8 - from Olympus yesterday and so far it looks great. Was really well packaged. Just did some quick shots with the kid and dog and it seems to be performing fine (though it seems just a hair sower to focus than my 17/1.8).

Are there any specific "tests" I should perform or things to look for when buying a reconditioned lens? I've never been overly concerned in the past as I've always assumed I had a year before worrying about problems that could crop up. Since I have less time now, I'd like to be somewhat more diligent in testing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

20. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
    Just got a refurb 12-40 f2.8. On close inspection I can see two tiny marks on the lens hood; nada on the glass or lens body. It focuses fine in both auto and manual; zooms fine. A quick glance at images on the screen looks great. So far - color me very satisfied.