1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying Panny 20mm and filters.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ccaroline, Sep 9, 2013.

1. ccaroline

ccaroline New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2013
    Hi!

To complement my OM-D with the kit lens, I'm about to buy the Panasonic 20mm, and some filters. I've got a few questions:

- I plan on getting the "old" version of the 20mm. I read the newer version is just a cosmetic upgrade?
    - I want to get a polarizing filter, and a Neutral Density filter. (possibly this kit: Tiffen 52mm Digital Essentials Filter Kit 52DIGEK3 B&H Photo)

-- Will the ND filter allow me to experiment with pictures that make water supersmooth when I put my camera up on a tripod?
    -- What's the use of the UV filter, aside from protection?
    -- This 52mm, will it fit my 12-50mm OM-D kit lens? I noticed the lens has wire on the inside...
    -- I'll probably want to mount this filterkit to my soon-to-be 20mm as well. It's filter thread is 46mm. Do I need to buy the filter kit in 46mm or 52mm and which step-down or step-up ring should I get?

Thanks so much!

2. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

Both the H-H020 (original 20mm) and the newer H-HS020A have 7 lens elements in 5 groups including 2 aspheric elements with 7 aperture blades. The updated version will come in a choice of silver or black finishes.

Other differences (older vs newer);

Minimum focus 0.2m / 0.66ft vs 0.20 m (7.87″)
    Weight 100g (3.5 oz) vs 87 g (0.19 lb)
    Length 25.5mm vs 26 mm (1.00″)

The included 0.6 Neutral Density filter will reduce your exposure by 2-stops. If you choose to slow or "drag" you shutter speed, running water will appear smooth or flowing. To do this, you will also need a tripod and a shutter release cable.

UV light can give shadow areas a bluish cast in bright sunlight. A UV can help correct this.

The M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm F3.5-6.3 EZ lens has a 52mm filter thread so any 52mm filter including the kit you linked to will fit. It's always best to step down from a larger filter to a smaller filter sized lens. Please be aware that doing this will more than likely prevent a dedicated lens hood from being used.

The Sensei 52-46mm Step-Down Ring is a step-down ring permitting the use of 46mm threaded filters on a 52mm threaded lens. This black anodized metal ring provides a durable solution for using one size of filters with various sized lenses.

3. ccaroline

ccaroline New to Mu-43

Sep 9, 2013
    Thanks. So I'm best to buy a filter (kit) for my 52 mm thread lens, and a ring to mount the 52 mm filters to my 46 mm thread lens?

If my analysis above is correct, might it be you mistakenly recommended me the wrong ring? And if so, you possibly meant to recommend me:
    Sensei 46-52mm Step-Up Ring SUR-4652 B&H Photo Video
    Or am I mistaken?

Thanks for all the answers!

4. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The other thing to be aware of when using step up ring on the P20 is that the elements will move to a slightly recessed point compared to the outer shell. I would recommend getting a UV filter (or a cheap filter of any kind, and remove the glass) to make sure that the elements can retract fully without impediment. Others have reported motor issues otherwise when used long term. Be aware, since the entire lens assembly moves, the more you attach to the front can slow down the focusing speed. Generally, I keep a UV on it (do so for all my lenses) and then add a polarizer when needed.

Edited: I see what Chuck is saying. You can either get 46mm filters, in which case the one he linked to is correct. Otherwise, you can get 52mm filters, and the one you linked to is correct. Generally, I step up rather than down if I can, to make sure there is no vignetting issues. Or you could look at the Cokin A (now Small) system. It utilizes square filters, and you can get different mounting rings that slip in, allowing you to forego step-up/down rings.

5. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

This is correct.

Yes, I got it backwards and thank you for pointing it out and finding the correct ring. You always go from the lens out so you would step up the 46mm lens to 52mm filters. I am sorry for my error.