1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying Overseas?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by blinky, Apr 30, 2012.

1. blinky

blinky Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 10, 2011
    Missouri
    What are people's thoughts on "too good to be true" online deals? The store openly states that they are based in China and have several Olympus lenses at half the price of most US retailers.

Too much trouble or risk than it's worth?

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I bought my Panasonic 14mm and Olympus 45mm from international sellers off eBay with no problems whatsoever.

3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    If they're selling for a lot less than everybody else, there's usually a good reason for that - it's a scam or the gear is stolen. You can get good deals from international sellers, but in those cases you'll find a lot of different sellers with similar prices.

With the exception of kit lenses, I'd be very surprised if you can find an Olympus or Panasonic lens anywhere new for more than 20% off the standard US price.

DH

4. Brownian

Brownian Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Ireland
    Pay using Paypal if you are worried.

I personally have not had a problem buying stuff from China/Hong Kong.

5. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    Make sure you use Paypal.

Many of the lenses from China are refurbs, so be aware of that. However, if you get it and it works like new, looks new, feels new, does it really matter all that much? I've seen a TON of the Panny primes on Taobao for dirt cheap here. Most of them imply that they are refurbs, but dont' come right out and say it.

6. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I'm going to Shanghai next week, and it will be interesting to see what the retail prices are like over there.

7. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    I get my Panasonic 14mm from international seller from Taiwan and it was separated from a body and lens kit. The price was half that price from stores.

8. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    Well, if you are looking at online stores, you can always try to google them for basic reputation, I found Trustpilot quite useful, unfortunately only *after* purchasing from a dodgy website (got my money back eventually, but it was a stressful wait).

If you are thinking of the likes of eBay, well, just be sure you never, ever pay with a debit card, always with credit card or paypal, at least your bank or credit card company or paypal would be able to fight for your money back should there be any problems.

My only concern about buying from certain countries/resellers is that they might not be authorized resellers of the product for the country you live in, and you might have problems getting under warranty repairs.

9. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    What are you looking for; I'll tell you how much it will probably be.

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    They'll be higher. The US is very cheap for things like electronics/cameras/tech.

11. Conrad

Conrad Mu-43 Veteran

I have bought a lens overseas: in the US at Adorama :wink:. Had it shipped to a friend in the US and he took it to Europe. The US has pretty much the lowest prices of all.