1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying my first Mirrorless

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by g_ngan, May 10, 2013.

1. g_ngan

g_ngan Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Hi,

I am a Canon 5D Mark III user and looking for a mirrorless camera. Please do not suggest me te EOS-M.:smile:

I was going to buy the E-PL5 until i saw the rumor of E-PL6. I guess i will wait cause i don't really need it now.

Anyway, I am looking at some of the lenes line up but I saw at Pana 8mm and it's considered as fisheye? 8mm is equal to 16mm in full frame and 16mm isn't consider as fish eye. I need a ultra wide angle lens but it looks like Oly or Pana only has 12mm or 14mm which i do not consider to be UWA.

2. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    The E-PL6 is only a minor upgrade from the E-PL5 and is only being released in Japan (they did that once before with the "E-PL1s" or something). It's essentially the same camera from what I understand.

For UWA lenses, others will know more but I think the 8mm is a fisheye but the 7-14mm and 9-18mm are rectilinear.

3. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    E-PL6 is only released in Japan. I don't know if importing one is worth the trouble.

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Why are you looking towards purchasing an E-PL5? Have you given thought to the OM-D E-M5 which has an EVF and the revolutionary 5-axis IBIS? Though the E-PL5 would make for a nice 2nd camera except you may become frustrated with the lack of a viewfinder (though you can purchase 1) and only 1 dials (though you can customize the wheel and other buttons). I would recommend the new E-P5 except the price is quite prohibitive.

As for your question with wide angles, the 8mm is indeed a fisheye. Our system lacks a true rectilinear prime. The best option is the 7-14/4 from Panasonic (but can't take filters) while the cost effective option would be Olympus' 9-18 (variable aperture of 4-5.6 but collapsible and can take filters).

Hope this helps.

5. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    wondering the same thing. maybe does not need the evf.. just a more pocketable camera?

6. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Hmm, if you're coming from a traditional dslr, you might miss the viewfinder.. Even coming from a phone camera/small compact camera background, I still find the viewfinder to be essential for me now that I've tried it.

I would aim for the OM-D E-M5 instead. Or if you're iffy about getting a camera that's been out for a bit, you can try and wait for the E-M6 (which hasn't been announced yet, but is probably in the works). Unless you're planning on solely using pancake lenses, none of the mirrorless are truly pocketable anyways.

7. g_ngan

g_ngan Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    I won't be considering OMD and missing the viewfinder because the point of this purchase is for a smaller dslr (less weight and more portable) and my wife will be using it as well.

As a matter of fact, I won't be using prime. I am looking for a wide angle zoom. How would you guys compare Pana 7-14 F4 and Oly 9-18? Do i need an adaptor if i use Pana's lenses? If yes then does all the setting works (auto focus, aperture, shutter speed, etc)?

If E-PL 6 is only in japan then i will probably get the E-PL5. Let's hope that they will reduce the price.

8. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
  9. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Oly's 9-18 is much smaller than Panny's 7-14, also 9-18 can use filters but not on the 7-14, I suggest you compare both sizes.

You can have all the m4/3 lens functions on all m4/3 bodies, but Olympus camera do not have all the lens profiles for panasonic's lenses, you will see Chromatic Aberration and Distortion like 7-14 on Olympus bodies.

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi - I bought an E-PL5 (and 17/1.8 prime) as a small high quality add-on to my 5dii kit. I was so impressed by the IQ that I added an OM-D and a bunch of MFT lenses and sent the Canon gear off to the POTN forums!

If you're happy without an EVF, then the E-PL5 is a great camera and smaller by a bit over the OMD (but add the EVF to the E-PL5 and there's nothing in it). The 9-18 is a fantastic lens IMHO. I had the Canon 17-40 with my 5dii and whilst the 9-18 doesn't quite have the resolution of a stopped-down-to-f11 17-40, it's much sharper in the corners right from wide open. FOV is practically the same - maybe even a bit wider if you were to crop the FF frame to a 4:3 aspect ratio. It's also remarkably compact when collapsed for storage and incredibly light.

I'm sure you won't be disappointed by the E-PL5 and 9-18.

Finally - be aware that the Pana 7-14 has purple flare problems on the E-PL5 and OMD bodies (caused by the sensors in these Oly bodies being sensitive to near-visible UV light). It's fixable by adding a DIY filter at the rear of the lens - but you might think this is too much hassle on a $1000 lens!

11. szanda

szanda Mu-43 Regular

I would definitely buy new PEN, it's an omd without viewfinder and weathersealing, but adds few things like 1/8000s shutter speed and more. More info here

12. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Can't speak directly to the 7-14. Obviously wider, larger, and heavier than the 9-18. It's reputed to be a little sharper and it's reputed to have flare issues in some lighting conditions, at least with the E-M5. I have the 9-18 and have been very happy with it.

13. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    This is not quite accurate. Distortion is in the lens firmware, and is corrected no matter which body you use. Chromatic Abberations are never corrected in Olympus bodies, but Panny body will correct with Panny lenses only.

Take a look at the size difference between the 7-14 and the 9-18. That may be an important factor as the Oly is quite a bit smaller and will feel better on the PEN body.

P.

14. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    The new E-P5 offers more controls and better ibis than the E-PL5 - along with a faster shutter and some other really attractive features. I would happily take one of these over the OM-D. (Although, I wouldn't mind owning an OM-D - just don't need the evf or weather sealing.)

15. g_ngan

g_ngan Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Alright guys. I am sold with E-PL 5 and 9-18. I will buy it as a ''gift'' for my wife in July. We share our gears. :)

16. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    Thanks for the correction, you are right and much better explanation.

17. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Hmm.. If wide-to-ultra-wide would be your main use for this, then the E-PL5's 2-axis stabilization should be enough. Plus you supposedly get extra detail sharpness due to the lack of an AA filter (the OM-D has a low pass filter) -- great for landscapes and architecture.

I believe the Sony NEX offerings only go as wide as a 24mm FF equivalent (I may be wrong as I don't follow Sony closely). As long as you're not going to need this for street photography or action shots (e.g. your kid's bday party ['coz of its uber slow AF]) and if you're willing to wait until end of this year to early next year, Fuji has a 10-24/4 (15-36mm FF equivalent [they already have a 14/2.8 or 21mm FF equivalent out])

18. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I hate to point this out, but according to Olympus, the E-PL5 having no low-pass filter was a misstatement by an Olympus Europe employee.

19. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Oh, thanks for pointing that out. How come I've read posts saying that the E-P5 does not have an AA filter as well. Hopefully, the statement is true with the E-P5 (even if it isn't in the E-PL5) which would mean that the next OM-D iteration will rid of this as well.

20. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Internetz spreads misinformation at least as quickly as information (maybe quicker.)

Even though the e-pl5 does have an AA filter, it's tiny and has the same IQ as the e-m5. And that's no bad thing.