buying lenses on ebay with dented thread-style hoods.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by colbycheese, Jun 2, 2015.

1. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    I was looking for more lenses on ebay and I found a good deal but there is a thread style lens hood that is dented, and to remove will have to be bent back into shape. This is probably not too big of a deal. The only thing that worries me is that if it is dented does that mean it is likely that someone dropped it and could that cause the lens elements to go out of alignment? This lens other than the dented hood is in great condition and looks almost brand new. Obviously the only way to check for misalignment is after i purchase it and receive the lens. I am not sure if i should buy this lens or pass and wait for a better deal.
  2. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I've bought a few dozen used lenses and have never seen any problems with the glass. With all these issues of people talking about good copies and bad copies...I don't really think I've ever seen one. I've had a few copies of the same lens before and they've been identical in performance.
  3. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    With eBay, my personal guideline is that if there is doubt, pass on it. If you're new to eBay, the keyword is patience in finding the right product in the right condition at the right price from a reputable seller.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    This is good eBay wisdom for sure. If you are saying to yourself "I'm not sure if I should buy this", you shouldn't.

And this maybe has changed a bit over the years. Once upon a time, before m4/3s caught on and Sony came along with great backs for MF lenses, you could find real and serious lens bargains on eBay. So it may have been worth it then to buy some very cheap stuff, understanding that some would be junk. I generally don't see that today. Bargains are still out there, but they are infrequent and not so huge.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yeah it's sobering reading mflenses / fredmiranda's forums from ~2010 or so and seeing stuff that's around $300-500+ (on keh/grainlab, not wishful sellers on ebay) used to go for sub-$100 :D
  6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Going back in time 15 years and buying all the old Zeiss you can find would not be a bad investment strategy!
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Yeah, if you've got a big enough time machine to hold all that glass. I think I'd rather just try to get a pre-IPO Google or Facebook stake. :biggrin: Then I'd be hanging out in the Leica forums.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    The classic part of it for me is stuff like the lens hood and lens cases for some old lenses going for several hundred bucks - literally a plain metal cylinder with a thread on it and nothing else. Has to be some way to make a killing counterfeiting that stuff :D
  9. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Old slr glass is built like tanks, so I doubt a dented hood communicates much about the likely condition of the glass. That said, I agree that with patience another more perfect lens will come along. OTOH, sometimes lenses with such dents do go for significantly less, so if the lens is ten or twenty bucks less than the going rate it could be worth it for the person less concerned about minty gear or the ability to add filters.