1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying lenses keeping in mind future camera bodies

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 350duser, Apr 9, 2013.

1. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    I have an OMD and have Oly lenses.
    Looking at expanding my lens portfolio and wondering about staying with Oly lenses or moving into Pan territory if the lenses give similar results.

The main reason for this is trying to guess which would be the next model of camera body that would improve on the OMD.
    If I buy Oly lenses and the next body turns out to be a Panasonic then I lose image stabilization although all lenses will work on the new body. If I buy Pana I am ok with both brand of camera bodies.

If the next camera body is Oly then I am ok but maybe missing out on good lenses like the 12-35.

Coming from a Canon FF it was an easy decision, one had to stick with canon or with the eos mounts.

I am a hoarder and rarely manage to sell stuff.

Am I trying to futureproof my system too much??

2. fuSi0n

fuSi0n Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Bavaria, Germany
    Agree to your last sentence. 'Nuff said.

3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    Am I trying to future proof my system too much??

The short answer yes.
    You should get the lenses you need regardless of the manufacturer. The beauty of standards like :43: is that you are not limited to one manufacturer.

There is one exception to this, for long telephoto it is better to get Panasonic lenses, this is because OIS/IBIS is more significant when the focal length increases.

4. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    I think that Olympus will keep the in-body stabilization in their bodies, so I prefer to not think about that.

5. dshipp

dshipp Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 15, 2011
    I don't understand this. Why are you prevented from buying and using the Pana 12-35? I have it with my OM-D and it's a great combo, I'm sure it will be excellent for my next m43 body too (but that's a long way off, assuming I don't push the weather sealing too far!)

Buy good lenses (preferably at good prices) I'm sure they'll be useful on your next m43 body whatever that might be. If you end up without IS for a particular len-body combo, it's not that big a deal especially for the likes of the M.Zuiko 17mm & 45mm F1.8. If it is a big deal to you then sell the lens - they hold value well.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    True -- the OIS on the Panasonic telephoto lenses is very nice. For shorter focal lengths it isn't that important in most situations. I've hand shot indoors on a G5 with a 50mm legacy prime and no flash, and had no problems with camera shake ruining shots.

Besides, I don't think Panasonic puts OIS in any of its primes, so there's no real problem switching between bodies.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Don't at all worry about future proofing. Oly and Panny -- interchangeable.

That being said, I like most of the Panny lenses better than the Oly. Maybe only difference being the Oly 75, which I don't own, but completely appreciate if you want that FL.

8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    If it's a fast prime, something f/2.8 or faster. Don't worry about OIS. You really need some kind of IS on extremely telephoto focal lengths. Something around 100mm or higher.

IS, OIS, VR, or whatever the manufacturer calls their image stabilization doesn't help you freeze action, it's merely there to help with handshake. Your subject will still blur if your shutter speed isn't high enough.

9. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Yes, you are.
    Work on technique and don't worry so much about lenses and bodies. You'll be happier with your results and have more money in the bank.

10. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    Thanks everyone for the input.

Will relax and enjoy taking photos for now.....

11. rocklogic

rocklogic addict

Mar 20, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Mulyadi Robin
    This is so true! I need to tell myself this every now and then! :biggrin: