Buying into a new system..oh the anxiety!

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This is brutal! Im interested in one of the Sony bodies(not sure which one yet), Fuji XT-4, and now the Panasonic S5 has dropped to $1650 so its in the running. For me personally Sony wins on paper. It really has everything including a huge lens lineup that offers the best of the best as well as affordable 3rd party options. However, I have never enjoyed Sony. I hate the menus, dont love the design, and really question the durability. Fujifilm is a pretty well balanced system but you are paying the same price or more for an APSC sensor, and now the Panny. I absolutely love this camera. Everything about it is awesome EXCEPT the damn lens collection. Its getting better but the setup I need gets pretty expensive in this mount.

Yes I know Im rambling, yesI know this thread is about to go down rabbit holes but thats what we do here :) Help a brotha out!!!

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
However, I have never enjoyed Sony. I hate the menus, dont love the design, and really question the durability.
haha. Yeah.

As always, it all depends on what you shoot and what your needs are. If you are just looking to "scratch an itch" then try renting a system you haven't used yet. If you have specific needs, then feel free to share, or at least map that to the lens lineup.

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Here’s the thing. I shoot high volume sports, roughly 40 family sessions, 20 seniors, and 8 to 10 weddings a year. It’s a side business that is 100% word of mouth. Any modern camera will handle this with ease. I currently shoot EM1mkii’s with all pro lenses. I actually love them. However, it’s time to start buying into another system.
my work cameras are the same ones I use for fun. I might keep an Olympus kit for that. Haven’t decided yet.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think technically the Sony cameras are the best and their lens line up looks solid. Only testing will tell you if you can get along with them. I agree with the suggestion to rent a body and some lenses to try it out.

WT21

Mu-43 Legend
Here’s the thing. I shoot high volume sports, roughly 40 family sessions, 20 seniors, and 8 to 10 weddings a year. It’s a side business that is 100% word of mouth. Any modern camera will handle this with ease. I currently shoot EM1mkii’s with all pro lenses. I actually love them. However, it’s time to start buying into another system.
my work cameras are the same ones I use for fun. I might keep an Olympus kit for that. Haven’t decided yet.
I think the Panny AF would be a step back for you. For what you outlined, I'd look at Sony, Canon or Nikon. If by "sports" you mean telephoto, then go Sony and pick up an APS-C (the newest a6xxx) body for the crop and AF to complement an a7 (or a9) level body. If you just can't stand Sony, then split: Oly for reach, and Canon or Nikon for the family and wedding. I don't see what Fuji does for you here, TBH.

LV426

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dan
This is brutal! Im interested in one of the Sony bodies(not sure which one yet), Fuji XT-4, and now the Panasonic S5 has dropped to $1650 so its in the running. For me personally Sony wins on paper. It really has everything including a huge lens lineup that offers the best of the best as well as affordable 3rd party options. However, I have never enjoyed Sony. I hate the menus, dont love the design, and really question the durability. Fujifilm is a pretty well balanced system but you are paying the same price or more for an APSC sensor, and now the Panny. I absolutely love this camera. Everything about it is awesome EXCEPT the damn lens collection. Its getting better but the setup I need gets pretty expensive in this mount.

Yes I know Im rambling, yesI know this thread is about to go down rabbit holes but thats what we do here :) Help a brotha out!!!
It sounds like none of these fit your needs/desires. keep looking!
But seriously, the UI and overall experience should be priority. Lens lineup means nothing if you don't plan on owning a big bag full of lenses. If Panasonic doesn't have the lenses you want then why bother. It kinda sounds like Fuji is your best fit because you only mention money and none of them will be a low cost option. BUT, if you often (or need to) shoot above 6400 iso then FF will show its worth.

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the Panny AF would be a step back for you. For what you outlined, I'd look at Sony, Canon or Nikon. If by "sports" you mean telephoto, then go Sony and pick up an APS-C (the newest a6xxx) body for the crop and AF to complement an a7 (or a9) level body. If you just can't stand Sony, then split: Oly for reach, and Canon or Nikon for the family and wedding. I don't see what Fuji does for you here, TBH.
Sports is team sports. Line up and shoot. I dont shoot action sports for pay. Just my daughters gymnastics competitions.

Attachments

• P4060198.jpg
    P4060198.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 45
  • P4060199.jpg
    P4060199.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 43

bbarnett51

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It sounds like none of these fit your needs/desires. keep looking!
But seriously, the UI and overall experience should be priority. Lens lineup means nothing if you don't plan on owning a big bag full of lenses. If Panasonic doesn't have the lenses you want then why bother. It kinda sounds like Fuji is your best fit because you only mention money and none of them will be a low cost option. BUT, if you often (or need to) shoot above 6400 iso then FF will show its worth.

Good points. Ill but the equavalents to 24-70 2.8, 70-200 2.8, 85 1.2 or 1.8 depending, and most likely as telephoto but im not dropping $11k on a 500 or 600 prime.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@bbarnett51 Sony Alpha 1? 🤤

I totally agree about Sony UI sucking, but my experience is dated. I have read it's been improved.

You said "It's time to buy in to another system". Why? Concerns about continuing viability of m4/3s?

Brownie

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Tim
I have a Sony A700 and a A65. I went with A mount so I can use classic Minolta Maxxum glass, which is very good and inexpensive. I plan to keep an eye out for an A900 or A99 FF someday to use with the lenses.

I have to agree about the menus. On the other hand this was a cheap thrill, I paid $168 for the A700 body and about $250 for the A65. The A65 feels very much like my G9 in the hand.

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
No estoy listo para esto todavía.
However, I have never enjoyed Sony. I hate the menus, dont love the design, and really question the durability.
Durability is the question but I have been told that was before they transferred their manufacturing to Thailand lately. We are not sure but my brother, as GASsed as he is, had been buying Sony A7*s from 2015 to 2020 and he had many sort of recalls/under warranty repairs for this A7Rs, A7 IIs and A7 IIIs. Some of the repairs are like flanges breaking, shutter leaves exploding, etc. He is properly meticulous in taking care of his cameras/gear so there came a time he questioned himself what he was doing wrong. He is using a tank in the form of the Pentax K-1 now for his landscape and nature photography.

I was truly surprised by the camera repairs as I am a fan of Sony gadgets because they can be handed over to next generations, in my experience. I have gadgets from the 70's, 80's and 90's that are still with me and are working perfectly.

Oh I see. I was thinking GAS initially but I agree, cost/expenses can be tricky when a single camera is used for work as well.

Since the E-M1.3 can handle what you need for your work, are you considering getting MFT's tiny, tiny, tiny offerings for personal use?

I totally agree about Sony UI sucking, but my experience is dated. I have read it's been improved.
There is a newer gen version of their firmware which is much easier to use. I don't really worry much about menus though as I always have the user manual with me whenever I am trying to learn a new UI/system.

To relieve the anxiety, do what I’ve done; buy into ALL the systems. Nomore “fear of missing out” lol
That was what my brother did. He bought ALL top-of-the-line FF models from Canikony + Pentax and then APSC from Canikony, Pentax and Fujifilm. He ended up with Pentaxes and X-Pros.

He has calmed down now. He would usually ask me for help in calming him down whenever he finds himself under the influence of GAS.

Now he just started looking into MFT for portability, IBIS, etc. I will be receiving a call from him later today or tomorrow. :laugh1:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Riku
Then you have the anxiety of deciding which system to take when you leave the house... Or, do you bring ALL of them? :rofl:
17umim.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The Grumpy Snapper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's simple. As a hobby photographer with a case of gas just pick the system that appeals the most. There isn't really a bad system on the market these days.

I agree to what The Grumpy Snapper said, if it's just your hobby or interest, I'd simply pick the system which seems most intriguing. So take a look at what each of the systems have to offer and consider your own interests, what would you like to get with your new stuff? Personally for example I'm still highly intrigued by Fujifilm, first of I like the design and build quality of their cameras, the "classic" control scheme looks interesting and is something you don't really find on any other system. In addition to that the extensive Film Simulation concept looks neat and last but not least Fuji offers high quality rangefinder styled bodies, fully weather sealed with compact, decent quality primes which are weather sealed - something you'd neither find on MFT or other systems.

If APS-C on Fuji-X bothers you that much, I guess you might be too much into an FF system anyways, which more or less rules out Fuji after all. At the end of the day, there is no "bad" system out there, so regardless with what choice you make, it's not like you're ending up with something of poor quality.

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
However, I have never enjoyed Sony. I hate the menus, dont love the design,

To my mind this is the key part of your post. I think you'd be far less likely to use the camera if it's something you don't actually enjoy. Why would you repeatedly use something you don't enjoy?

As others have said, choose the system that appeals to you the most and enjoy.

AmritR

Mu-43 Regular
Some considerations.

- Fujifilm raw is not supported in DXO deep prime.
And when you’re spending, allready own M43, you’re imo better of with 35mm then with aps-c.
Unless you really like the Fujifilm cams (X-Pro for example) and Fuji’s JPG output.

- Sony lenses, bit of a mixed bag: https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaff
And I never liked their GUI and ergonomics.

Canon, Nikon, Panasonic/L-mount are imo the way to go.

- For example a Nikon Z5 +24-200 is a really good offer imo.

- L-mount as well, who knows what Sigma Or Leica will introduce at some point. And there are few really nice primes available. For example the Sigma 35 F2 and 24 F3.5.
Has imo all the promises of a great platform.

- Canon, rather expensive but very solid offering. The expensive no-risk route.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom