buying in the Caribbean

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by BAKatz, Aug 24, 2012.

1. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    we are going to St. Thomas in April and I was wondering if there is any advantage/disadvantage to buying duty free. Besides the cost.
    Are they the same as what sells here in the states?
    Thanks

note: I bought our first digital camera down there years ago. It was an Olympus Camedia. It always worked great, for what it was.

2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Many, many years ago I priced some lenses there. Prices at that time were roughly comparable to B&H, Adorama, etc. I'd suggest making note of the US prices for what you're interested in, and comparing while you're there.

If the difference is slight, it probably makes sense to buy from a US vendor to ensure US warranty coverage.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    yeah, I thought about the warranty thing.
    I have til april so there's plenty of time to see what comes to market. No reason now to jump at the holiday's offerings.

4. MexicoMik

MexicoMik Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2012
    I travel a lot in the Caribbean and despite the claims for no tax/duty I have yet to find anything from diamonds to watches to cameras to be priced any lower than the same item in the US from known distributers (like B&H, etc.). As noted, check before you go and you'll have good data to base the comparison.

Personally, even if the item was a cheaper, if it wasn't substantially cheaper, I'd buy it from a regular dealer in whatever home country for warranty purposes. IOW, if say the OMD body was available in Grand Cayman for 899 instead of 999, I would still buy it from B&H. If it was 800, well, I might have to buy it in Cayman. But I don't think you're going to see it priced lower at all, let alone 200 bucks less.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    You mean besides Having to wait 8months to get it, and missing out on 8 months with a great camera?

In the forums you always see people asking, "what camera should I buy for my vacation I'm going on next week?" I always tell them you should have bought it months ago so you get time to learn the camera and it's personality. Suppose you haven't put the camera through its paces and find out just after you arrive at your destination you got a lemon..,now you have to drag this defective brick around you can't use.

In your case if you bought it where you live you could simply return it to the store for simple exchange, but if you get back home and find out it's not working properly you have to send it to Olympus for repair.

• Like Like x 3
  6. BAKatz

BAKatz Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 9, 2010
    Riverdale, NY
    yeah, i also love when they ask which underwater camera is the best. no one seems to realize all the sample pics are taken in a nice well lit, shallow pool. with crystal clear water. "Look at those images !!!" Then they complain when the pics of the fish taken 10 feet down while snorkeling/diving don't come out as clear, (if at all)
    so I'll probably buy the camera here, and try to pick up a lens at a bit of a discount.
    thanks

7. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Really good advice. I took a new Nikon to the Reno Air Races several years ago and didn't get anywhere near my normal keep rate. Loved it after I got used to it, but I may not get back to Reno to get the shots I missed.

Lee