Buying GH2 as second body in 2019

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You gotta remember that the GH2 was the flagship Lumix camera of its time. It had the best of what was out there. Hence the good quality build, good handling, and durability.
Absolutely!
Especially in the early days Panasonic pushed the boat out for certain models/lenses,
and the oversized sensor was genius.

karthikrr

Mu-43 Rookie
Finally got my Nikon adapter .. Haven't had time to really go out and shoot, but preliminary testing is very positive. While trying to decide what other adapters I should buy (Apart from my Nikon lenses, I own one minolta and one canon fd lens), I found an ad for a Hanimex 135mm f3.5 M42 lens. Hanimex typically gets a bad reputation, but this lens was a bit of a surprise for me. It has 12 aperture blades, so it made me curious. Not much info about it, but apparently its from the early days of Hanimex when they made good products... Picked it up dirt cheap, so the decision is made, M42 adapter is what I get next :)

I also got lucky and received a "wide angle converter" from somebody. I wonder if that will serve a similar purpose as a focal length reducer ... They are typically not considered good because of edge distortions, but on the m4/3, with the crop factor, I imagine the edges will be cut off anyway, so its really center quality that matters, right? Its a 62mm converter, so I need to buy step-up rings for it and those are confusing, so still figuring it out.

Overall I like the experience enough so far that I am pushing a friend to buy a m4/3 camera instead of the Sony RX10iii ... He is tempted, but concerned (rightfully) about the future of m4/3 and ... well, lets just say I have confused him plenty already :D

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
My advice: Stick with the Nikon adapter (you indicated you have some Nikkor lenses) and either a Speedbooster or close clone focal reducer. The wide angle converters (and often telephoto, too) that fit on the front threads of a lens will often give varying degrees of poor optical performance. Don't fall into the trap of buying JUNK for JUNK prices. You likely did very good with the uses GH2 body but I still would have gone for the G85 as it is a natural evolution of what the GH2 set out to become.

I took things a step further and ordered a couple of Rokinon Cine DS lenses in Nikon F mount (the 24mm and the 50mm), the same Nikon to m4/3 adapters and focal reducers I already had work fine with them. Initial testing looks good.

karthikrr

Mu-43 Rookie
I have a few Nikkor lenses, but an equal number of third party lenses for Nikon mount ... Most of them good ones, ranging from a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 to old ones like a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 (Tokina) and some "fun" ones like an Arsat H (a rebranded Helios 81H, which itself is a cloned Zeiss) ... Truth be told, aside from a couple of missing primes, I have a nearly complete set in the Nikon mount, so you are right, I should just get a second Nikon adapter and use these lenses...

BUT, just yesterday, I got my hands on a really old Hanimex 135 f3.5... From what I can tell, this was made BEFORE Hanimex became a garbage brand ... It has a clickless 12 bladed aperture and the few sample pics from it online look surprisingly good. I am eager to try it out, but need an M42 adapter for it. Oh, I got it for $8!!! Part of why I want to buy a second mount adapter is to try out these really cheap lenses and just experiment with them. Your warning is one that I take seriously though, buying junk for junk prices and ending up with a collection of hundreds of crap lenses that are nothing more than paperweights! I try my best to evaluate any such purchase decisions and make sure I am not doing stupid things impulsively :)

I guess from this perspective, all I need is an M42 adapter, since those are the ones that are typically bought at junk prices. For all serious use, I already have a near full set of good glass, so I don't really have to go looking at other mounts.

As for the G85 and other models, how I would love to get them. But my present financial status does not allow me to even dream of these things... Perhaps once I am done with my dissertation and on the job market with a PhD, I might be able to spend more money and get better stuff, but until then, simply to learn and improve my skills, I am happy with what I have at the moment. Those Rokinon lenses you mention are fantasy inducing though :p

Lastly, about the wide angle converter, the cheapest metabones focal reducer I have found was a used one for about $65. I wasn't really sure if I NEED it, so I declined to make an offer. The wide angle converter (and a macro too), I did not buy, I got them free when I bought an ATX Tokina 80-200 f2.8 lens. Since I already have it and paid nothing for it, I figure it might be worth a shot for a few dollars invested in the appropriate step-up/down rings. Also, I am really curious because logic dictates they should be better on MFT than APS-C or FF (because the crop factor ensures only the very center will be captured) ... I will update if and when I get around to trying them out ...

Bif

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Bruce Foreman
BUT, just yesterday, I got my hands on a really old Hanimex 135 f3.5... From what I can tell, this was made BEFORE Hanimex became a garbage brand ... It has a clickless 12 bladed aperture and the few sample pics from it online look surprisingly good. I am eager to try it out, but need an M42 adapter for it. Oh, I got it for $8!!! Part of why I want to buy a second mount adapter is to try out these really cheap lenses and just experiment with them. Your warning is one that I take seriously though, buying junk for junk prices and ending up with a collection of hundreds of crap lenses that are nothing more than paperweights! I try my best to evaluate any such purchase decisions and make sure I am not doing stupid things impulsively :)
Nothing wrong with M42. The first SLR I was able to afford was a Ricoh in M42 mount (compatible with Pentax thread mount) and the Rikenon 50mm that came on it was not too bad. The Pentax Takumars in M42 were in their time, state of the art lenses and a lot of folks use them on m4/3 cameras and like them.

I guess from this perspective, all I need is an M42 adapter, since those are the ones that are typically bought at junk prices.
If you look for more M42 lenses, avoid the ultra cheap stuff, spend a little more for Takumars and you'll be a lot more pleased. Something to consider, from what you have select a few focal lengths you can actually do something with.

The "normal" 50mm lens film cameras in 35mm used to come with has it's m4/3 equivalent in the 25mm focal length. So look in your Nikon collection for a 24mm or failing that a 28mm wide. That will serve the purpose for which you will occasionally need a lens with "normal" viewpoint, a "walkaround" lens if you will. The 50mm Nikkor you may have is a pretty good portrait lens (100mm full frame equiv). The 135 - 200mm will be your sports and wildlife optics.

Where you will likely come up short is if you need wide angle and for that I suggest watching the Buy/Sell forum here on a daily basis for a Lumix 14-42mm ver II f3.5-f5.6 "kit" lens being sold off (usually around $100 or so). I would avoid the ver I of this lens as the zoom was often not smooth.

As for the G85 and other models, how I would love to get them. But my present financial status does not allow me to even dream of these things...
Not now! And not brand new. But in about 6 months to a year from now used prices on some of these things may begin to drop. It's worth watching the Buy/Sell forum on this site on a daily basis. I've picked up most of what I have from doing just this.

Those Rokinon lenses you mention are fantasy inducing though :p
I got them on sale from B&H's "deal zone", I just refuse to go 4 figures per for cine lenses.

Lastly, about the wide angle converter, the cheapest metabones focal reducer I have found was a used one for about $65.
If that was a Metabones Speedbooster it has something BAD wrong with it. I found one used at B&H for $229 and when I took the rear cap off, parts fell out onto the floor. B&H took it back and issued a refund with apology. I settled for an RJ clone and a Viltrox clone, each for about $80. I had to adjust infinity focus on the Viltrox before I could use it.

Please don't take anything I post as being critical. I'm just passing on what I've learned through about 7 decades of involvement in all this both as a hobby and as a line of work. Good luck and have fun.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom