1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying GF1 body which lens for under $180?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by m43baby, Jan 3, 2011.

1. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    Hello, my budget for a lens is around $180. I will be purchasing the GF1 body only and need a lens. Which one out of these would be best bet in this price range; any other lenses out there?

1. Olympus ED 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 Lens - $149 Used
    2. Panasonic 14-42mm - $179 New
    3. Olympus ZUIKO DIGITAL 25mm f/2.8 Pancake Prime Lens - $175 Used
    4. SLR Magic 35mm f/1.7 MC lens - $100 New

Do any of the above need any type of an adapter to work on GF1 (other than the Pany lens)?

2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    You should be able to find the Olympus 17mm for around that price.
    That's a real good lens....
    Shooter

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What kind of photography are you planning to do?

How long would it take to save up an additional $120ish ($300 total) to get the 20/1.7?

You will need an adapter for choice 3 as it's a regular 4/3 lens. (micro 4-3 lenses are designated m.Zuiko Digital in Olympus-speak).

4. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'd either get the Pany 14-45 if you want a zoom (the Olympus doesn't have image stabilization, and you'd want that at the long end with a Pany body) or, as Don recommended, the Olympus 17mm pancake (which doesn't have stabilization but that's a pretty near non-issue at that focal length. The 25 and 35mm primes you're looking at are both a little long for an only lens. The 25 is probably OK (lots of people have spent a lot of time shooting with similar primes over the years) but the auto-focus with a non-native m43 lens is likely to be really slow.

-Ray

5. jmacpix

jmacpix Mu-43 Regular

IMHO the Pany 14-42 will give you the most bang for your buck and is a very versatile lens to have while you build your system to suit your needs. Unless your a very dedicated photographer, going with a fixed focal length prime lens will be limiting and frustrating for you until you get to an advanced level.

Cheers
    Jeff

6. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    A somewhat eclectic set of choices. The Oly 25/2.8 will need the 4/3->m43 adapter which will blow your budget.

What do you want to do? That should drive your lens choices. Do you have any lenses for it now? Or adaptable lenses?

7. m43baby

m43baby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 1, 2011
    I am buying just the GF1 body and don't have any other lenses. I will be taking just basic photos and shooting video - no real need for much zoom at all. I only have experience using p&s cameras.
    I'm also not having any luck finding the Olympus 17mm for that price range.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The other option just out of your price range, might find one used, is the Panasonic 45-200. It will have the best focusing for video out of the list above.

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I agree with Ray and would recommend the Panny 14-42 over the Oly 14-42 because it has image stabilization.

The 17/2.8 would also be a nice choice as stated by Don and I have seen it in that price range used. Makes a very nice small combination.