1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying From China, How Risky ?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by retiredfromlife, Jun 22, 2016.

1. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    While looking for “L” bracket grip plates for my E-P5 I noticed some fairly cheap versions on the web.
    One from amazon that looks like a safe bet and one on ebay that looks the same from SHENZHEN, China which looks to be the same aluminium model but does not say what the materials are.

Has anyone purchased from China? Just can’t see how they can sell for that price and include free shipping, if I read correctly.

The two links are below, are they both safe to purchase.

Fotga PRO Quick Release Vertical L Plate Bracket Hand Grip for Olympus PEN Ep5
    https://www.amazon.com/Release-Vertical-Bracket-Olympus-Tripod/dp/B00O9UWE7O

LB-EP5 Metal Quick Release QR L-Plate Bracket Grip For Olympus PEN EP5 Camera
    LB-EP5 Metal Quick Release QR L-Plate Bracket Grip For Olympus PEN EP5 Camera

If anyone knows of cheap places (safe purchases) in China etc for low risk photography gear please post a link. I have only purchased from the USA before never by these above methods. Looks like I may have been missing out on some goods deals

Regards MarkL

2. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    if you buy on eBay from china (which is where 90% of my purchases come from) and you pay with paypal (which is 100% of my purchases) you have buyer protection.

I've had some crap, but usually only watch bands for $5 ... everything else has been quite good.

I'm surprised there is an Australian left who hasn't been buying stuff like camera adapters / tripod mounts and basic engineering stuff from eBay out of China

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I bought Chinese made grip/l-brackets for my E-M10's that look like the same design. Amazon.com : Neewer® Black Metal Quick Release L-Plate Bracket Hand Grip Camera Grip for Olympus OM-D E-M10 Fits Arca-Swiss Standard : Camera & Photo They're solidly made with a good fit and cost $25. I buy things like this through Amazon. The one I got is marketed by Neewer and order fulfilment was through Amazon. It may only be wishful thinking but buying from Amazon or have them as the shipper makes me feel more secure in the event of an issue.

Fred

4. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Maybe something I have to retify.

5. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    bought the same plate (for E-M5) on eBay from a seller in China and it was 100% good and usable
    However I didn't like the shape of that in my hand and much prefer to make my own grips out of Sugru

As pellicle say: on eBay and PayPal and it's better than buying in the store.
    If any item is not good, broken, not as described, doesn't get delivered or any other drama so far I have been refunded.
    The one that Amazon is selling looks identical to the eBay item (they even use the same picture) and I willing to bet it does come from the same source, just sold for more $

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I pretty much second what everyone has been saying. For little things like lens caps, brackets, flash diffusers, cold shoes, dumb cables, it's a pretty safe bet, and beats trying to find them locally (it's next to impossible in NZ, those that have them are just importing them from China anyway). Just be prepared to wait a very long time and don't expect the tracking to work reliably.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    I have bought much photo related stuff from Chinese vendors via E-bay, everything hasslefree and rather swift in delivery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I bought my GM5 from China; aside from lack of seller support when I tried to complain about the camera being PAL when they advertised it as NTSC (they were very stubborn and didn't understand my problem... eventually they offered me a partial refund to keep the product... a partial refund of $5!!), I think it's usually pretty painless. Use PayPal.

9. BosseBe

BosseBe Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I've bought some lenses from eGlobalCentral.eu, they ship from HongKong, paying with PayPal.
    No problems except the delivery time is longer then from Europe.
    Prices have been in the 75% range compared to Sweden.
    I think they have other stores for other markets, maybe one for Australia?

/Bosse

10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I fear counterfeits, so I will not buy lenses or cameras directly from China. But for generic accessories and stuff, it's all coming from China one way or another no matter who you buy from! :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
  12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Have you heard of anything being counterfeit in M4/3 land? I thought Canikon were the only real instances of that happening.

13. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    This is pretty much what I thought, so I purchased the grip. Initially I was worried that for $20.00 it may be a fake and not exist as a lot of people would not bother to chase up $20.00. Things like lens hoods, filter step up rings etc are very costly in Australia and metal filter stack caps seem to be a thing of the past. I will look for these as well.

Regards MarkL

14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    With PayPal you don't chase anything. Send an email wait a bit, get money back. Even a$2 item.
    It sounds like you have never used this system
    If it's a fake they give you a refund too (they = PayPal)

15. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    @retiredfromlife@retiredfromlife
    this is a pertinate point if you're an eBay greenHorn
    especially when its "free postage" on that $20 item. My experience is that they are very close to the right dates on their estimates given for delivery dates

16. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I mostly just meant not getting exactly what was promised, rather than convincing replicas. I'll admit the risk to be low, but I just feel better about issue resolution buying from Japan or S. Korea and the prices are generally similar.

17. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Ahh. Much in the way of my PAL GM5. Gotcha.

18. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    I've been buying low value items like caps, hoods, screen protectors from China. Yes, it's amazing how they can always ship for free. However, in the last year, shipping has become unreliable. 2 of my last 5 items have lost in the mail. The consolation is eBay's buyer protection.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 app

19. Balinov

Balinov Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 8, 2015
    Dublin
    Balazs
    Hi, can you post the link to this plate by any chance please? Looking for the same sort of thing meself. Thx

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

20. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik