Buying from 35-100mm from Panacam

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by marcl, Apr 9, 2013.

1. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I'm looking to buy the Panasonic 35-100mm zoom. I see on Amazon that I can save $100 by buying it from Panacam compared to The US price. I imagine it comes with a Japan only warranty which I'm ok with. I'm more concerned about returns in case of a dead on arrival type of problem.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Panacam on returns?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Are you sure it's Japan-only warranty? Anyone asked the seller?

Olympus warranties are world wide... I'm just curious is all.

3. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I've asked. Waiting on an answer...

4. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I'm curious to see if you decide to go with them; I'm also in the market for a 35-100mm. I almost bought my 12-35mm from Panacam, but chickened out and was willing to pay a little more to go with B&H Photo instead because I was hesitant about ordering from overseas for cheaper.

5. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Not sure about returns, but warranty is only valid in Japan. Thats what kept me from ordering the 12-35mm

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I was curious about this lens, so I went Googling. The Oly sells here in the US for about $2500 (and is an f/2) and the Panny is about half that (f/2.8). Big difference (and i understand that you wanted the Panny). The prices that I saw were on B&H. I'll go check out Panacam now.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    On lenses in this price range, I'd rather pay more and get an ironclad domestic warranty and return policy. YMMV. :)

8. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Panacam replied it's a limited international warranty which excludes the US specifically. They seem to have a good return policy for DOA types of problems. Their shipping is also fast and fairly cheap.

Still thinking about it...

9. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Took the plunge and ordered on Amazon from Aoyama. The lens was shipped in under 48 hours from Japan. A delivery attempt was made 3 days after - on Saturday when my office is closed. I had to wait until Monday.

Lens works great, knock on wood, since it has a Japan-only warranty. Very happy with my purchase so far. Now I have to get out and use it!

10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Personally it would have to be more than $100 to entice me to sacrifice the warranty.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.