Buying from 35-100mm from Panacam

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by marcl, Apr 9, 2013.

1. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I'm looking to buy the Panasonic 35-100mm zoom. I see on Amazon that I can save $100 by buying it from Panacam compared to The US price. I imagine it comes with a Japan only warranty which I'm ok with. I'm more concerned about returns in case of a dead on arrival type of problem.

Does anyone have any experience dealing with Panacam on returns?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Are you sure it's Japan-only warranty? Anyone asked the seller?

Olympus warranties are world wide... I'm just curious is all.

3. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    I've asked. Waiting on an answer...

4. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I'm curious to see if you decide to go with them; I'm also in the market for a 35-100mm. I almost bought my 12-35mm from Panacam, but chickened out and was willing to pay a little more to go with B&H Photo instead because I was hesitant about ordering from overseas for cheaper.

5. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Not sure about returns, but warranty is only valid in Japan. Thats what kept me from ordering the 12-35mm

6. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I was curious about this lens, so I went Googling. The Oly sells here in the US for about $2500 (and is an f/2) and the Panny is about half that (f/2.8). Big difference (and i understand that you wanted the Panny). The prices that I saw were on B&H. I'll go check out Panacam now.

7. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    On lenses in this price range, I'd rather pay more and get an ironclad domestic warranty and return policy. YMMV. :)

8. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Panacam replied it's a limited international warranty which excludes the US specifically. They seem to have a good return policy for DOA types of problems. Their shipping is also fast and fairly cheap.

Still thinking about it...

9. marcl

marcl Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2012
    Took the plunge and ordered on Amazon from Aoyama. The lens was shipped in under 48 hours from Japan. A delivery attempt was made 3 days after - on Saturday when my office is closed. I had to wait until Monday.

Lens works great, knock on wood, since it has a Japan-only warranty. Very happy with my purchase so far. Now I have to get out and use it!

10. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Personally it would have to be more than $100 to entice me to sacrifice the warranty.