1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Buying EM-5 in Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mking, Feb 18, 2012.

1. mking

mking New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012
    Perth Australia
    Hi all,

I have been completely out of the photography scene for over 16 years, have decided to have another play and the micro 4/3 are really hitting all the buttons with respect to functionality and size/weight.

I have read in an interview that Hong Kong will be among the first Countries that the OM-D E-M5 will be releases in and I will going there on holiday from 16-20 March.

Quick questions, does anyone know
    1. When the E-M5 will be expected to be releases in HK?
    2. A good store in HK to buy Olys?
    3. Opinions on supply vs demand on initial release?

I think down here in Australia we will be waiting to April/May. My problem is that I'm going on a 13 day photography tour of India and would really love to get the E-M5 for street photography.

Any help/opinions greatly appreciated.

2. nicholasswan

nicholasswan Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    Don't know any answers to any of your questions. But I just wanted to say that your trips sound amazing to go on. And if you can't get your hands on the oly I think the gx1 with 20mm has everything you would need for street photography. Unless of course you get splashed:-/ only thing missing from gx1 IMO (splash resistant) (damn you oly)

3. mking

mking New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012
    Perth Australia
    Thanks Nic, will check out the gx1 but man, the EM-5 really brings out the narcissist in me.

4. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Ok difficult to answer accurately.

1) m43 cameras tend to show up in HK within a week of being available in Japan. They are usually "grey" imports and expensive. The real stuff will show up a couple of weeks later. HK is a major market for cameras and nobody wants to miss it. Check the languages in the menus as it might be fixed to Japanese if you decide on a grey model.

2) There are good and bad stores in HK. Tin Cheung seem OK but I would avoid the computer centres. Most stuff comes with international warranties, but check carefully. Phone a few stores before getting to HK.

3) Over the odds for a couple of weeks, MRP for a while and then discounted after that. I see the E-M5 being full price for a while due to it's potential to sell well.

5. mking

mking New to Mu-43

Feb 17, 2012
    Perth Australia
    Thanks for the great advice.

Really looking forward to the trip; just really close timing for the release of the EM-5 and afraid that I'll miss both the release in HK during my March trip and its release in AU before my photography tour of India starting April 16.

Seeing as I currently have only a standard digital, I am in two minds about trying to snag the EM-5 in HK and if it isn't available wait again hoping for release in AU before India or just putting myself out of my misery and buy an Epl3 with the fruit or GX1.

6. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    Sydney
    I was there and there is two shops in the mong kok area. THey had micro 4/3 in stock.
    I also found out Olympus lens has international warranty anyway no matter where you bought it as long as there is a receipt. DOnt forget you can negotiate slightly for the prices. I recall one of them is call " Wing Shing" camera shop.

7. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    whenever I hear Hong Kong and photography, I always remember DigitalRevTv.
    If you know about Kai...Lok...Alamby.. lol. I think they are the best and the funniest camera reviewer these days. (DigitalRev)

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I read an interview with Oly this week (can't find it now, of course) where they said they were working hard to make sure the OMD was available worldwide at the same time.

I would think that this makes sense given Amazon's preorder. They didn't do this with the E-P3 and I would think that Amazon's expectation would be to receive the product on a priority basis if they are going to offer a preorder.

It still may not release exactly the same time, but I think it is going to be a lot closer this time than it was with the E-P3. I would recommend not buying over list and making sure you have an int'l warranty. You could always grab a used m4/3, or one of the great deals on older models (both Panasonic or Oly) to tide you over until the OMD is available in your home market. Maybe a portable E-PM1 to complement the pro OMD? =)

9. calieng

calieng Mu-43 Regular

Dec 20, 2011
    G3

Doesn't the Panasonic G3 seem like a good option until the OM-D is available?

Similar features and half the price. You can sell it later and not loose too much especially if you get a used one.

10. nicholasswan

nicholasswan Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2011
    i think the man should get the gx1,20mm,and evf. then when the om-d comes out.. just buy that too!!!!!( i just love the gx1 so ill rant about it all day.) and the om-d looks real nice as well. but maybe the timing is off. and if so. GX1 ALL DAY!!!

11. Gakuranman

Gakuranman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Japan
    Currently Amazon.co.jp is showing a shipping date between March 30th - April 2nd. Up until now, Oly cameras have come with firmware that lets you change the language into English, even with models bought in Japan. Hopefully the OM-D will also be the same :).

12. raphpict

raphpict Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 29, 2011
    I have no idea about the expected date in HK.
    I leave in France but bought my e-p3 (and some others over the years: G10, S95) at "Cam 2" (read "cam square") at wanchai computer center, HK. (they have 2 shops there, i always go to the one in the street, the other one is inside the computer center).
    Be very careful in Kowloon (nathan rd).
    You should also have a look at lonely planet forum.

13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Ditto! They are very well done videos. I don't always agree with some of their conclusions but every video is informative{to a certain degree} and always entertaining.

14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    According to the reports from the press launch function in HK, the E-M5 will be released some time in March! (No exact date though) HK is a BIG market for Olympus cameras, so I am not surprised if it is one of the first markets to get the camera. However, I suspect stocks won't last...

As for a good place to get one, the usual suspects, which have already been mentioned include Tin Cheung and Wing Shing, but I believe the prices won't be that much different than if you purchased it at major electronic chains like Broadway (I personally don't like Fortress) due to its popularity. When I bought my silver E-P3 back when it was first launched in HK, I just grabbed one available in a camera shop in Pacific Place, a high-end shopping mall. The price is standard retail price. You might be able to get one to two hundred HK dollar discount at a Mongkok store, but you risk having to wait for the stock to become available...

Correction: I actually bought the E-P3 at Broadway, and my 12 f/2.0 at Pacific Place... got confused with so many purchases in such a short time... =(