1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Buying an OMD solely to use with the 20/1.7...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DDBazooka, Mar 2, 2012.

1. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I'm currently using an E-PM1 with a 20/1.7 permanently attached.

I'm thinking about buying an OMD and keeping the 20/1.7 on it (at least until the mk2 version comes out :biggrin:) but $1000 for a fixed prime body might be overkill.

Good idea or great idea?

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'd buy more lenses to go with your Mini, but that's me... How about lighting? Have you tried playing around with external strobes yet?

3. grantb

grantb Mu-43 Veteran

I'd wait to hear if the new body improves behavior with this lens over that of the E-P3 . Many of us have had trouble with focus in low light on E-P3/20mm, and then there is the rattlesnake which is present on this combo but not too annoying in my book.

It's still my go-to lens, but I usually swap it out when shooting at night.

4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    If you're wanting a single body for a single lens, that is way overkill in my opinion, but notice that it's an OPINION. At that price, my more realistic choices would be:
    -Sell the E-PM1, and get a G3 or GX1 for the sensor performance. Put the rest of your budget towards the Panasonic 25mm, as that seems to me to be a more worthwhile investment than the E-M5 in your case.
    -Get yourself a fixed-lens compact. The sky's the limit, take your pick: Leica, Ricoh, Sigma, etc.

Is that your setup because that's the only camera and lens you own, or do you just have a backup body that always has a 2nd lens on it?

5. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'd happily get the E-M5 to use solely with my Nokton 25mm :smile:

*but then I'm prone to irrational illogical decisions*

6. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Sigma DP1merrill ;-)

The 5axis is probably reason alone to get the OM-D over any of the other options.

7. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Ambient lighting is more of my thing :smile:

I have a DSLR + 17-50/2.8 but I notice I've been using it less and less.

If I were to get a lens, I'd probably get the 45/1.8 to complement to 20. I like the 20 over the 25 because of the size, even though the low light AF is really bleh.

Leica, ha, maybe one day!

Yep, the specs of the OMD + the looks is what got me sold.

8. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    I only consider the Sigma DP2m somewhat of an alternative, but the lens isn't as fast and you don't have an EVF. I think you're better off with the E-M5.

As you said, you can pick up the Olympus 45 f/1.8, and a cheap telephoto later if you want, compacts don't give you that flexibility.

And yes, $1000 for a 20mm digital back is overkill, get the 45mm as well!

9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Sounds very reasonable to me. I'm guessing that the 45/1.8 will pretty much live on my E-M5 while the Pana 14/2.5 retains its current place on my E-P3. I have and use other lenses, including the amazing 20/1.7, but they don't see a lot of use anymore.

10. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Bazooka, the Leica I'm talking about is the X1. It's not substantially more expensive than an E-M5 with 20mm lens if you search hard enough and consider that it comes with Lightroom, but it is a true, built in Germany Leica with an outstanding lens. There are some things that the E-M5 with 20mm may do better, but I don't think you'd find many people to argue that image quality is one of them. It is a pretty small camera overall, and while it has issues, I'm sure that image quality will cause all to be forgiven.

I agree with Ned, that you should put that money towards lenses otherwise. You say you like the 20mm for the size, but the GX1 with Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 on that camera will give the E-M5/20mm combo a run for its money in the portability department. Otherwise, put that $1,000+ towards a 12mm and 45mm, and you have what many consider to be a near perfect setup in m4/3.

11. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Sounds like a great idea.

12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    If you do a lot of low light shooting, the high iso and IBIS improvements of the EM5 might make the combination exclusively with the 20 f1.7 a good one. But the EM5 promises to be a FAST camera and, if that part of it matters to you, its not gonna make the 20 much faster - its just an inherently slow lens to work with, among the native m43 lenses.

So, if low light is your thing, it sounds like a good combination (although the 25 f1.4 on the OMD sounds like a better one to me). But if you want to take advantage of the snappy speed of the EM5, maybe wait for a different lens to strike your fancy...

-Ray

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    If you love that lens and want an EM5, I can't see a single reason not to.

Gordon

14. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    I think it is a terrible idea, based only on the fact that the 20mm does not focus particularly quickly. You'd be leaving a lot of the OMDs performance on the table.

15. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Actually, our opinions would only matter if we were going to take the photographs for you. Life is short and photography is fun--do what you want.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Generally, if you only use one lens on an interchangeable lens camera, you are spending a lot on money for a feature you never use. I don't see the point to self-impose restrictions and limits to your photographic experience and images.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  17. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I use my Fuji X100 quite a bit and it has only one focal length. There are a number of them in the used market for less than $1,000. Bigger sensor, and optimized for the lens.

18. dre_tech

dre_tech Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2012
    DDBazooka, you'll probably end up getting a couple more lenses anyway after you get the E-M5, another reason why compact cameras are not the right approach.

The Leica X1 is twice the cost of the E-M5 for f/2.8 and no EVF (or any viewfinder at all), that doesn't sound appealing. The only alternative of that genre I'd consider is the Fujifilm X100 with f/2.0 for $1200, or if I wanted to spend in the proximity of the X1, I'd buy the X-Pro1 + a prime for $2300.

19. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    Hmmm, to me it wouldn't make much sense to buy that camera just to use with 20mm. The improved IBIS won't make much difference in a lens that short, and a good EVF and the 16mp sensor are available much more cheaply in the form of a G3.
    I'd buy the G3 and the Oly 45mm lens (or the Panny 14, depending on what you like to shoot), all for less money than the OMD. Put the 20 on the G3 and the 45 on E-PM

20. montaggio

montaggio Mu-43 Regular

Its a good point, but the OM-D will definitely leave you options down the road should you wish to expand out from there, including all of the adapted options. You may be boxing yourself into just the 20mm or something similar today, but down the road.....lots of options.