Buying an Olympus camera from S.Korea

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by youry, Aug 17, 2015.

1. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    hi everybody,
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a M1/12-40mm package sold on EBay by S.Korean company. Other than the warranty, is there any downside in buying an Olympus camera from S.Korea? The seller lists a bunch of languages for the menu and English is one of them. Anything that I should look for/ask before I order?

2. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Import duties .... taxes!

3. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    They ship EMS and no taxes of any kind coming through USPS. Different story if it was Fedex or UPS
    Anyone ordered from Korea? Any surprises?

4. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I've bought from Korean/Japanese eBay sellers before (lenses) and they are identical to US ones save for the documentation. I personally would not buy the E-M1 without a warranty though.

5. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Anything prone to go wrong in this particular model or as a general rule?

6. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My concern would be the recent rash of faked cameras coming in from over seas.

Beyond that, a warranty would be great to have. I'd much rather buy a used EM1/12-40 from KEH and get the 6 month warranty with it, or buy refurbished from Olympus directly.

7. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

+1. I wouldn't spend that kind of money without a valid warranty.

8. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    I see KEH has a body plus battery and charger (I assume nothing else) for $822 plus shipping.
    If I don't like the 12-40 and sell it for, say $650, I'd end up with a brand new body for a little below $650. I'll sleep on it a couple of days.

9. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    It would be about $650 for the body. Used in the B&S forum go for a bit more, and not always with a warranty. Brand new for over $1K from a reputable store is out of question.

10. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC

11. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    There's reported issues with the rear dial going bad (see for example https://www.mu-43.com/threads/58210/ - I had the issue happen to me with the E-P5) and EVF "burn" under certain situations (see for example https://www.mu-43.com/threads/64334/). Oly has not issued recalls/service advisories for either issue. Even with a warranty you have to ship it to them at your own expense. A couple people have mentioned they have serviced them after the warranty expired, but I'm not sure if they would repair gray market cameras without charge.

12. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    ok, I was not aware of this problem. The ebay seller has WARRANTY CARD written in bold, though he doesn't clearly state if there's any warranty. I will write the seller and update this post (for future reference) as soon as I get an answer back from him. thanks

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  13. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    I think all of the Korean/Japanese E-M1/12-40 PRO kits are now regional warranties only. I asked a few sellers last month (including I think the one you're referring to) and they don't have any with worldwide warranties left.

14. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    Just pony up the dollars and buy in the USA. Support your local dealers and stop being so tight ! I cannot believe that coming in via USPS means You are not liable for duties and taxes !

15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    American individuals don't pay import duties on anything under $10,000 or something like that.

We're supposed to report & pay state sales tax (at least in California) at the end of the year on out-of-state/internet purchases, but I don't know of anyone that does.

Barry

16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  17. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    nah, no need to pay extra taxes when there are people like you to pay for me :)

thanks but 42nd street is a very difficult company to work with. tried a couple of times to work with them, with no success. bait and switch

• Like Like x 1
  18. ashburtononline

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    I'm paying nothing for you as I'm not in the USA. We can only import NZ$500 without paying import duties. For me, I can import from overseas and save 20% but my dealer (ships free and loans equipment) and full 2 year warranty are well worth 20% to me.

19. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    It's not just a few bucks difference though. We're talking about $1350 gray market vs. $2000 authorized dealer (and that's with the current discount - normally it's $2300).

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

<Raising hand>