Buying a used Olympus E-PL5 from a smoker?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by vatkat234, Sep 21, 2014.

1. vatkat234

vatkat234 New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2014
  2. Ellsass

Ellsass Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I wouldn’t buy it. First, the stench. Second, can smoke affect lenses/sensors? I wouldn’t want to find out the hard way. Lastly, if this person doesn’t take care of their body, how well do you think they take care of their possessions?

It’s 2014, hardly anyone in North America smokes anymore — surely there’s another EPL5 for sale from a non-smoker.
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree on not buying from a smoker, though I imagine the risk is very, very slight. I'd be concerned about the stink.

But the idea that a smoker doesn't take care of his gear is bit much, imo. Maybe we should asking for exercise regiments and diets in the Classifieds? "You had pizza twice last week, then a cheeseburger and wings?!", "sorry, I can't buy your GH2...".
    • Like Like x 6
  4. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Maybe avoid it.

I once bought a custom knife from a respected knife maker whose website featured a photo of him polishing blades while smoking a cigar. The knife reeked of cigars when I opened the box upon its arrival.
  5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    No idea if it affects the equipment, but I bought an Oly Pen once from a smoker, and every time I went to shoot with the EVF (VF2 attached) it smelled like I was putting my nose in an ash try, no matter what I tried to do to clean it.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nancyr

nancyr Mu-43 Regular

May 17, 2014
    San Diego
    Now for the other side:

I once had a Pentax film body (all hard surfaces, really) come back from the repair center stinking of smoke, but it did dissipate after a few days. Also once bought a car from a smoker(!). The stench wasn't awful, but it was definitely there. A couple of weeks with open windows and all was well. So maybe it's not as bad as we think? I am a non-smoker, as is my family.
  7. vatkat234

vatkat234 New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2014
    I'm from Boston also.

Does your Pen still smell like smokey and how long have you had the camera?
  8. vatkat234

vatkat234 New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2014
    The smell is the real big concern for me. Also getting tar on the sensor is a little also, but I think having tar on the sensor would be really rare.
  9. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Overreaction. Like others have said, the smell should dissipate. Some materials, possibly including the rubber eyecup of a VF2, might be more porous and retain the smell longer. I'd probably think about replacing any removable/repairable pieces like that. I've never smoked, myself.
  10. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Personally, I would be more concerned whether the camera and lenses for sale had been stored in a dry safe at the correct humidity levels.
  11. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    I'd never ever buy from a smoker.
  12. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
  13. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    When I first started in my career as a biomedical electronics tech our shop maintained all of the hospital computers and printers in addition to medical devices. This was when it was still permissible to smoke in offices. Most of the computers and printers were stained and smelled of tobacco smoke. The smoke had penetrated to the circuit boards. We were tasked to clean and repair the office equipment. Plastic will absorb the odor of smoke and the smoke will leave a film on any surface it contacts. This contamination is cumulative. If the camera was only slightly exposed to smoke it may be OK. A good cleaning may take care of the odor and residue. If there was heavy exposure then it may be best to look elsewhere for a camera.
  14. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    • Like Like x 3
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Does marijuana count? You know, in case I want to buy something from Denver.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    You have a potential new avatar here.

17. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Nothing worse than the smell of stale cigarette smoke. I need to remember to ask when I buy stuff, so far I've been lucky.
  18. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I had my last cigarette in Feb 1972, quit smoking a pipe after a close brush with a heart attack in Dec 1988. My Hasselblads and Nikons were never exposed to tobacco smoke in enclosed areas, the 'Blads were primarily used at weddings and I never smoked at those events, the Nikons were mainly used outdoors. I never smoked in the studio camera rooms and when I closed my studio and went to work at an air force photo lab the lab chief had a policy of no smoking in the building.

When I sold off my own equipment inventory no one seemed to notice any odor and with used gear I've purchased through the following years I've never noticed any.

So for me it's a "non issue".
  19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Wow! What about all the germs that are on the gear? OMG!
  20. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    I smoked for a few years, starting in college, and I think I object to smoke odors more because I'm an ex-smoker. I received a used camera and case a few weeks ago, with a stale smoke odor, and I kept the gear but let the seller know that the gear stunk. The camera has aired out pretty well but the fabric inside the case still has an odor if I sniff for it, so it's sitting open and unused.When I get around to it I may try putting some baking soda in the case.