1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying a Panasonic Camera in Japan - a huge dilemma

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by romasport13, Jan 29, 2015.

1. romasport13

romasport13 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2015
    Greetings all,

I am traveling to Japan in april and I was planning on buying a used Lumix 14-140. I have a 20mm 1.7 and a Oly 40-150 (from my previous EPL-2). This len would be perfect since I need a wide focal lenght and a stabilized lens for shooting video.

So here is the situation: a used Lumix 14-140 (1st version), can be purchased in mint condition for around 250 USD. The newest version has a price tag similar to those you can find at US - I am not finding anything interesting in the used section - and then, I realized that the japanese G6 comes with the 14-140 mk 2 for around 550 USD! I think that is a great deal!

The problem is that the menu is Japanese locked. Does anyone here have a lumix japanese camera? Is it feasible to use it without understanding nothing in japanese? I've looked around the internet and people say that the operation is the same and the menu configuration can be accessed in english with a Panasonic app, with your tablet / smartphone... I would love to hear the experience from real users, so please share it with us :thumbup:

Thanks!

2. romasport13

romasport13 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2015
    Well, perhaps it is a little bit confuse... I have a G5 (and love it), so the dilemma itself is: Buy the used 14-140 (1st version, and get rid of the Oly 40-150) or spend more money and buy the G6 - Japanese version - with the new 14-140 (probably trading in the G5 and the Oly 40-150 as well)?

3. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I recently got the tiny GM1 from a Japanese vendor on Ebay. When I set up the camera it had the English option. No problems. I even registered the camera on the Panasonic website and no problems there either.
    Bobby

4. romasport13

romasport13 New to Mu-43

Jan 29, 2015
    Good to hear that Bobby. I sent an email yesterday to Mapcamera inquiring them about lumix cameras with english menu, specially the G6 mentioned above, and they replied that they are japanese locked. :frown:

5. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    I wouldn't bother. You have a good price deal for a short moment and lifelong frustration afterwards, every time you pick it up and want to use it. BTW, there are very good shops with dazzling used collections in Japan. A few years ago prices were on European level and higher than US.

6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I wouldn't want a G6 I couldn't read the menus on. Even if it was free.

7. Vesku

Vesku Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2014
    Fin
    It may not be a good idea to buy that lens for stabilized video. Have you looked the topics of OIS problems for video? 14-140mm v2 has serious OIS problems.

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

If or when you need the camera to be repaired, if the camera is not a US VERSION you won't have a warranty. Web registration has nothing to do with having a valid warranty.