1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Buying a new ep2

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pete, Feb 28, 2010.

1. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    Hello all: Tomorrow I purchase a new ep2, comes with 14-? lens, (forgot the right zoom). I have the ep1 and love the 17mm.....would like any thoughts on keeping that zoom. I am going to sell the ep1 and may just keep one lens....many thanks

Pete

• Like Like x 1
  2. benoly

benoly Mu-43 Regular

Feb 23, 2010
    California, USA
    If I understand correctly you will either keep the 17 or the zoom? If that is the case I would keep both because you also get 14 and 42 which is wide and short tele with the 17 acting as a normal. And the zoom is so compact and light to also carry along when you need the other lengths. Either way enjoy your EP-2.

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    It's nice to hear some love for the Oly 17. I like mine quite a bit as well.

I suggest that you use the 14-42mm zoom for a while before making any decision. Congrats on the E-P2!

4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    The AF is faster on the 17/2.8 than on the kit 14-42 zoom. You may want to keep the 17/2.8 for street photography purposes, if you do that sort of thing. Otherwise, the 14-42 is more versatile, and apperture wise, you are losing only about 2/3 of a stop with the 14-42@17mm.

On the other hand, you may want to eventually get the 20/1.7, which you can use to replace the 17/2.8. It's not as wide as the 17/2.8, but it AF faster than the 17/2.8 by a little bit, and that fast apperture helps a lot in low light photography.

Congrats on the EP2.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Don't discount the 17.
    I love the 20 but have the 17 on now. It's nice to see again with it.
    Besides, it makes a very compact kit with the Pen.

6. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    done. sold. keeping the 17 (i really like it) and will hold on to the 14-42 zoom for abit. Love my new black ep2.....thanks all

7. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Wow, that was fast! Congratulations Pete!:biggrin:

8. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Congrats!!!!! I sold my E-P1 and the 17 that came with my E-P2 kit to balance out the purchase... I still have my Panny 20... However I might be selling it soon!

9. noodlehaus

noodlehaus Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2010
    Congrats Pete. There's no other E-P2 like the black E-P2. The level of sexiness that it has is off the charts, and it really makes me look like I know how to take photos :D 

10. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Hey Pete.....I just joined your club, brah. Charging the battery on a new E-P2. :2thumbs:

11. pete

pete Mu-43 Regular

Feb 26, 2010
    Phoenix, Az
    hey Rich...grats on your buy as well. cant wait to see some snaps from back home.
    take care,

Pete

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.