1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buying a new body and have questions O vs P again.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by KVG, Aug 21, 2012.

1. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    OK, so I'm starting another one of these done to death thread. I have a GF1 and love it for the most part, but I want another body with evf, touch focus, higher iso ability, and better af. I am waiting for the G5 to come into my local shop, but I don't know if it will actually fulfill my needs. Here's the deal I shoot alot in low light and my keeper rate is bad due to lack of iso ability and no is since I use primes. Is the lens correction the Panasonic more worth it than Olympus's IBS or vice versa. I know I may be splitting hairs, but since many of you have or do own both brands your my best source for input.

Thanks in advance,
    Kelly

2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Kelly, I suspect that like most people, I have only ever 'needed' IBIS for a tiny portion of my shooting so far...but when I have called upon it, it has been freakin excellent. I wouldn't consider it a magic bullet especially if you shoot very low light with moving people or objects....The blur effect gets tired.

I think you would really love it mate....especially with your primes and even with you SMC Tak !

I don't know about the 'regular' IBIS of older Oly models, but that 5-axis thing the EM5 has got going on is pretty amazing when required and I'm glad I have it....even when using the PL25 @ 1.4 the ibis helps in low light.

My advice is...it is so close to Photokinia you should wait a couple of weeks and see what unfolds, maybe something crazy or maybe not, reassess then what your best option is, either way....unless Panasonic release something totally awesome, give Oly a try, and more specifically the em5....I think you'd love it. (and if you don't.....it's easy to sell up and jump back to a Pany body right)

Just my 2 cents mate.
    Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1
  3. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

I agree, if you can wait for Photokina, by all means, do so.
    If not, and if you love your GF-1, you'd be well inspired to get the GX-1. It's getting very cheap for what it is, and is a very real upgrade over the GF-1 for everything.
    Evf has to be bought separately, but it's really cool to be able to put it on and off. The ontly thing you can't do is use it along with an external flash (but the small built-in flash is surprisingly good).
    You have more choices in Panny with excellent sensors, G3, GX-1, G5. The only Oly body so far with truly excellent sensor is the E-M5. If you feel ready to tackle Olympus' User Interface, feel free (personally I can't live with it, but it's just me).
    All the previous Oly bodies (up to EP-3) have the older 12MP sensor, which while not being bad, is really not up to the current Panny 16mp's.
    Choices, choices.... I think G3/GX-1 are best bang for the buck at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    You know how it works mate... You're going to buy something, it's going to be great....then someone is going to release GX-2 or EP6 both with built in viewfinder then you ****ed ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Built in EVF pretty much locks you into Panasonic or an EM5 right now, but there are some vague rumors that Oly may introduce a downlevel EVF body. Hold out for a few weeks; if Oly rolls out an EVF and EM5 sensor body, it could be a big attraction.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    One thing I forgot to mention was the fact not having IBS makes it hard to use any longer lens in lower light that doesn't have IS. I think you guys made great points, I just wait a month and see whats coming, plus if its good many of the fine users on here will most likely start selling their em 5's to try the new products.

7. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Well Kelly, since we're in the same neighborhood, if you'd like...
    I can offer to let you try out my E-m5 and in another week or so, my GX1.
    Then you can compare the difference of the same shot vs your GF1 and decide if either is going to suit your needs. If this appeals to you, send me a pm and we can arrange a loan.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    ^^^ another reason why the people on this forum are THE BEST !!

• Like Like x 1
  9. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Actually Grinch that would be awesome! I know Panasonic so well and i would love to try an em 5 hands on for more than 10 min in a store. You keep offering to let me try things and I feel bad because you have or have had everything I have, lol.

10. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    There are lots of things I don't like about the OM-D. But if your requirements are:

1. micro 4/3 system
    2. high iso shooting
    3. IS with primes

The OM-D is the logical choice. High ISO performance of the G5 appears to be in line with the G3 and GX-1. Which means you'll rarely notice the difference in most circumstances, but high ISO / dim lighting is where you probably will.

The rumored GH3 may well match or exceed the OM-D in terms of noise, but it's seems pretty unlikely it will have IBIS.

• Like Like x 1
  11. nianys

nianys Mu-43 Regular

In 2005 an American hobbyist sent me his (then brand new) Nikon D2H (pro body) to try at no charge, he even paid for shipping, after we'd discussed the camera on a gear board !!!
    Of course I sent it back, with a nice package of French goodies, but that goes to prove photographers can be VERY good to each other.

• Like Like x 4
  12. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    If you don't mind me asking what are your dislikes? One thing that is drawing me to Oly is I shoot jpeg for the most part and it seems to be a respected fact Oly has some of the best jpegs.

13. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    If your worried about it being an even trade, you could give me a few pointers as your twice the photographer I am. I have some stuff, but you have skills...I'd swap for those if I could.

• Like Like x 1
  14. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Wow, thanks man.