buy with kit or not

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dko22, Feb 1, 2011.

1. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    It may be that before too long I will be selling on my G1 if I upgrade (or perhaps it will stay in the family). But, say I go with the GH2 should I get it with the 14-42 simply to make it easier to sell the G1. Or would a lot of people be interested in a G1 body only? The difference looks like being around £80 in the UK between body only and kit. It's unlikely I'd want the 14-42 for myself but would it add that much to the resale value of the G1 I wonder. Hard to get info as I don't see any 14-42s on ebay in the UK and they are usually over £100 from the shops. Another possibility is getting the 14-42 and selling the 14-45 which appears to have a higher resale value but then I'm gambling on the 14-42 being near enough as good which most say it isn't! Unless of course I only hang onto it until the new superkit 12-50 (rumoured) comes out which may turn out to be heavy and expensive etc etc.

Sorry about this meander but perhaps someone might be able to help me think straight about this one! :confused:

2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Having bought, used and sold a lot of second-hand cameras on eBay, I always found the best way was to sell the mid-range to high-end cameras as body only. A lot of people wanting to buy these types of cameras already have an entry-level model with a few lenses and are more likely to just want a new camera body.

For entry-level cameras like G1 I would always try to sell them with a kit lens if I had one or try to source one cheaply if I didn't. Most people in the market for an entry-level camera will need a body and a lens and would find it a pain to source both seperately. I imagine this would be particularly true with the G1 because it was the first m4/3 Panasonic body available so you can only upgrade to it from a different system (e.g. it's not like a Canon where you might upgrade from an older entry-level model to a newer one; 450D to 550D for instance).

As always, check the completed listings on sites like eBay etc to see what the difference is in the price of a G1 with or without a lens to see if it is worthwhile obtaining a lens to sell with the body.
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Id buy the new kit lens but sell it with the G1. The 14-45 is considered a better lens than its replacement 14-42.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    thanks, that may well be the best way to look at things!