buy the kit or make it complicated?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by blb, May 31, 2012.

1. blb

blb Guest

Looking for an inexpensive way to give m43 another shot...

Amazon has the gf3 w/14mm for $314 (gold box deal)
    " " " panasonic 14-42 for $99
    " " " epl1 (body only) for $159
    " " " epl1 with kit lens for $269
    " " " epl2 with kit for about $400

I have some points I want to use up at Amazon, so am only looking there. I'm leaning toward the epl1 kit, but have seen that some like the panny kit lens better. I'm a bit tempted to buy the epl1 and the gf3 w/14 and then see which body I like the best and either return the epl1 or sell the panny - but not sure how happy I'd be with the 14 as my prime (haha) lens. And then I know at least one of you will say that the handling and such of the epl2 is worth the extra dough. So - would you make this easy or hard?

2. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011
    You could always go to a bestbuy or something and ask to look at each of the cameras you are interested in. I think the local target to me had a gf3 in stock with a 14mm. I hadn't realized how small it was until I saw it.

You can get a 14-42 used for a bit less than 99 too if you want more than just the prime. I keep going back and forth on selling mine but it is still here because even though I dislike plastic zooms it just works well.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Personally, I like the Olympus cameras - mainly for the IBIS. The E-PL1 is a nice capable camera but, does the kit include the older kit lens? If it does then the E-PL2 with the newer lens might be a better option. I've owned both and, while I liked the E-PL1 I found that I like the E-PL2 better. I'm not absolutely certain why that's the case it just "feels" better to me.

4. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    I much prefer the smaller GF3 body, and the Panasonic menus and handling but although I use my 14mm enough to justify keeping it I would not want it as my one and only lens - the 14-42 would be much more useful.

The EPL1 body for $159 is great value though. Or you could get the GF3 deal and sell the 14mm for $160 or so and use that money to buy the 14-42 either on amazon or used (here, on ebay etc).

The Panasonic 14-42 is more bulky than the Olympus 14-42 though so you kind of lose the advantage of the smaller body there - the GF3 and 14mm is a great pocketable combination. The Olympus 14-42 mk i is slower to focus than than the Olympus 14-42 mk ii but optically I think they are very similar (and the Panasonic 14-42 is also similar). The Olympus 14-42 mk i is almost certainly what you will get if you buy the EPL1 kit.

5. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My vote would be the body only EPL1 body only and consider the lens a separate decision. $160!! ... there are crappy P&S cameras that cost more.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'd drop the EPL1 from consideration. Granted, it is cheap, and has a cult following for supposedly sharper resolution, but it's slower in operation, only goes to 1/2000 shutter speed and has another serious limitation which eludes me at present...

The EPL2 is a nice camera, but a good deal bigger than the GF3. I also think at $400 it's overpriced. Maybe at $300, but not $400. If this is only a "test and play" camera, and not meant to be your long term body, then I might be inclined to the GF3, but Panny's metering in my experience can be hit or miss. In either case, I believe they both use the same, older sensor. If you shoot RAW, the GF3 will be OK. If you shoot jpgs, the Oly jpgs are much nicer, IMO.

Personally, while I know you say you have Amazon credits, I'd get an EPM1 refurb from Cameta camera at $299. You get a very fast camera, a very small camera, a very nice kit lens, and great OOC jpgs, white balance and metering. It does use the same old sensor, but it maximizes what a camera can get from that sensor. (though I could be open to a bias accusation, having two EPM1s myself already).

7. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    That makes a lot of sense at the price, plus as it would be your only body it also gives you the option of adding an evf or external flash in future which the GF3 doesn't.

Not sure how much amazon credit you have or if/when it expires, but you can always put it towards a lens, evf etc at some stage in the future, or even memory cards, spare battery, camera case etc? Or perhaps even buy something on behalf of somebody else who was intending to make an amazon purchase (eg family or friends) in exchange for cash and maybe giving them a small discount on the credits?