Buy the EM1 now or wait

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Gary Ramey, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Olympus is charging me almost 8% sales tax for where I live which offsets the savings of getting a free flash or adapter. I can't understand why Olympus is charging tax because I thought they had to have a retail outlet in order to charge tax. I'm considering now waiting until other online vendors get the EM1 so I won't have to pay the extra $110
  2. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    If you have something else to use in the meantime, then wait. If you're without camera, then ask yourself if the wait is worth the savings.
  3. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Wait...and save yourself some money.
  4. aukirk

aukirk Mu-43 Regular

Sep 9, 2012
    If you *need* a new camera, than the additional $110 is small in the grand scheme... however, if you are just upgrading, then it is a no brainer to wait. Maybe Lightroom and Aperture will have RAW file support for it by then...
  5. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Thanks you guys are aligning your thoughts with my common sense....however the inner geek is bummed..haha. I have the EM5 so just upgrading to make my 50-200 more useful. Larger, better viewfinder is a plus but I'm going to wait
  6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    All authorized retailers also have the free-FL300/MMF-3 deal. Also, note that in most states, you are supposed to report and pay the sales tax yourself as part of your tax return ('Use tax') if the shop doesn't levy it. Not that anybody does, but it is the rule.

Lightroom already has RAW support for the E-M1. Aperture will probably take a few months.
  7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    your moaning about 8% sales tax.!!!... try living in europe where its 20%

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    You are still allowed to moan, even if it is more expensive elsewhere.
    And in Europe, the sales tax is taken regardless of if it is a retail store or direct.
  9. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Of course if you buy on line and the vendor doesn't collect sales tax, you are required by CO law to pay the state a use tax.

There is a bonus tax if you live in the Denver area. Google for details.

Really, the question is kind of silly. How the heck should we know if the 8% is important to you?
  10. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
  11. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Stubbing a toe still hurts, even if it's better than breaking a leg. :wink: I remember sometime in the mid 90's then US gov't released one version of its nuclear attack plans. One provision was the replacement of the income tax with a national 30% sales tax. The EU is much more advanced and has done this without even being attacked.
  12. giofi

giofi New to Mu-43

Mar 21, 2013
    Well, the EU introduced the high sales tax (24% in some countries btw) and managed to keep very high income taxes as well! :rolleyes:
  13. jerrykur

jerrykur Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Northern CA
    Are you paying up to 3000/mo for healthcare? That is what my family's is

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  14. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Easy does it folks. This thread is skirting towards a shutdown.