Buy PIXMA-PRO 100 Ink Set, Get $1600 Free 13×19″, 8.5×11″

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by musicwack, Oct 10, 2017.

1. musicwack

musicwack Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 21, 2015
    South Jersey
    James
    "This ridiculously hot deal is back from the Canon Direct Store. When you buy the 8 CLI-42 (for PIXMA PRO-100) ink tanks in pairs, you get “free gifts” of photo paper, totalling 600 sheets of 13×19″ (in semi-gloss, and pro-lustre), and 160 sheets of 8.5×11″ (in sampler packs).

The individual ink tanks cost $16.99 each. You need to buy two at a time to trigger a “free gift” with every purchase of professional ink above $30. This is a total of $135.92 (split over four separate transactions), not much more expensive than buying the combo kit for $124.99. The (inflated) retail value of all the free paper is $1599.80, which is rather silly.

This is a similar deal to the previous free paper deal. This deal ends on October 15th, or when sold out — this deal has historically sold out very quickly!

They also have a similar deal on PIXMA PRO-10 ink (but not as good as it requires 3 ink purchases to trigger the $30 threshold).

The fine print shows what is included in each “Pro Paper Variety Pack”: 1 Pack of LU-101 13X19 50 Sheets, 2 Packs of SG-201_13x19 50 Sheets and 2 Packs of PRO Paper Sampler Package."

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Aperture Don

Aperture Don Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2017
    Illinois
    It might be a good deal if you print a lot of 13x19s, but you're going to need a lot more ink than just two eight packs. Canon makes their money on the ink which is ridiculously expensive. I have the same printer that I bought for $75 from someone who bought it for the rebate on a Canon camera. I also got the 50 sheets of 13x19 paper with it. Quite often, there's a sale on the eight packs of ink for about $100 to $110.

3. wrangler5

wrangler5 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    I bought the Pro-10 last year (2 of them, actually - they were on sale, and it's good to have a backup), and discovered that the Canon ink carts are exactly the same price at Amazon, and Canon, and my local camera store. Canon gives you "free" paper by the pallet if you buy much from them, and charges a little bit of sales tax but gives free shipping. Amazon too charges a bit of tax and has free shipping. My local store charges more tax, but (if they have what I want - I print B&W and so go through a lot of the gray ink) it's here right now. I have hundreds of sheets of 13x19 paper from Canon that I'll never use. So I probably won't be ordering ink from Canon when I print my Christmas books this year (I made 1000+ prints last year, and went through 33 ink carts on the one printer I kept track of - B&W printing uses all of the colors, although the Red cart gave over 500 prints compared to the average 88 prints for the Gray one.)

4. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Please explain how this works. I need 8 colors x 2 each to make the $30 minimum to trigger the free gift. If I do 8 separate orders the total of each is less than the $100 free shipping minimum. Is it worth paying 8 shipping fees?

edit: figured it out. canon site is slammed I think and is screwing up my orders. It is not updating fast enough. Some things are on backorder but they are still taking orders at sale prices. I assume will ship later

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  5. wrangler5

wrangler5 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 9, 2017
    The bigger your order, the more free stuff they pile on. Put everything you want into a single cart and see what free stuff comes with it. You might be surprised. You don't have to complete the checkout if you don't want to.

6. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    I see one free gift pack...

edit: and my total is $293

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  7. musicwack

May 21, 2015
    South Jersey
    James
    The trick with this deal is you have to buy 2 individual tanks at a time. There are 8 ink tanks for the pixma pro100, so you have to make 4 separate transactions. You should be spending around $34.00 (pre-tax) for each transaction.

8. Gidget

Gidget Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    I spent ~$36 and ordered two cartridges. They sent me: (2) Pro Paper Samplers 20 sheets; (2) Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss 13x19 50 sheets; (1) Photo Paper Pro Luster 13x19 50 sheets. I placed a second order for two more cartridges and am hoping to get the same! It hasn't arrived yet. I refill my own ink from Precision Color and it works great. I've used it for many years now.

Thanks for the fantastic Deal musicwack!

• Like Like x 1
  9. musicwack

May 21, 2015
    South Jersey
    James
    No Problem! :)

Question, you said you refill your own ink from Precision Color, could you share some more info about that? Do they have refillable cartridges or do you reuse the Canon cartridges?

10. Gidget

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    You just need the chips from an OEM set of carridges to apply to their cartridges and they have a USB thingy that resets the cartridges after you refill them. There was some work to get it started but after that it's very easy to refill...if you wear latex gloves and have a large flat area covered to do it in. The ink is a match to OEM too.

Precision Colors C5B
    Precision Colors C5B

11. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I've been looking for some testimonials on Precision color. Have you had any issues with fading longer term? Is it ok to use old empty cartriges that are dried up at this point? I've read good things, I just haven't made the leap.

12. Gidget

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    I haven't had any trouble with fading yet but the pics are behind glass too. I wouldn't use old dried up tanks. Buy empty/no chip cartridges from Precision. I use syringes to refill.

The start-up is expensive but saves a ton long term. Now all I'm worried about is the printer deciding its life is over because the internal drip/leak pad is full.

13. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    You can find them ON CL cheap $25-40. People get the rebates, sell the tanks and sell the printer (and or print head) separately sometimes. Or they just sell the entire printer for ~$125 w/ink.

I got mine for $50 shipped and free paper so it was a no-brainer for me. I got a second one and sold it unopened and sold the camera kit on craigslist and netted a profit. I know they recommend using the precision yellow tanks clean/new. But using old tanks seems easier than cutting the chip and moving to a new tank. I've been saving them, just haven't made the switch yet.

14. Gidget

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    Let us know how it turns out!

15. Wisertime

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Do you use special printing profiles or just the stock canon/canon paper?

16. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    Well, UPS showed up with a pile of boxes on Friday. Enough paper for years I think. It's obvious that I'll have to buy more ink to use it all. They screwed up my order and one box is going back on their nickel.

17. Gidget

Apr 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Leah Hallett
    I use the standard printer profiles and Canon paper.

18. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    I've been refilling all the tanks including the yellow but they are scrupulously cleaned and dried with compressed air before the first refilling with Precision.

From archives cleaning method:

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1