Buy or wait?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by sprinke, Mar 8, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I find myself in the lucky position of clearing about $600 profit on some print sales, and I'm itching to buy a new lens.

I'm wondering if I should get the PanaLeica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux, or if I should wait and apply the money to one of the new fast zooms that are coming.

Currently own the following lenses:
    20mm f/1.7
    45mm f/1.8

I know that there are a lot of you who are all about the fast primes, and I do enjoy mine immensely, but I use the 14-140mm just as much or more as the 20mm and 45mm combined. And 25mm sounds awfully close to 20mm, although I do love the pics I've seen coming from the lens.

What to do ...
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Sell 20, buy 12&25!

- Eliot
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I'm assuming that you're going about the possibility of the Panasonic 2.8 zooms. I am waiting eagerly as well for those lenses to come out. But since there's been no official launch date from them, I think the better option is to purchase the PL25 and enjoy it now. They hold their value so well that you can pick one up used and sell it when the zooms do become available towards hopefully the end of this year.

That way you can enjoy a magnificent lens until the zooms come out. And with the recent posts about the poor quality of the X zoom lenses, we might both be disappointed by the quality of the f/2.8 zooms. You just never know.
  4. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Given the issues with the 14-42X, I think the wait will be quite long while they hanker out their OIS issues (not to mention, do you really want to be a a beta tester for their zooms? :eek:). I think all that Panasonic has mentioned is that the fast zooms will be released in 2012? Perhaps not even that...

There's also the issue of their supply chain and demand. They're usually pretty bad about supplying goods in the states (note the regular lapses of supply for the 20 and the 25). Panasonic also have not given an inkling of cost either...

If the cost is not astronomical and the quality is there, I too would probably get in line to get one. Probably in 2013 :rofl:

I love my PL25. I've only used my 20mm 2 times after I got the 25 - when I'm going to dinner and need the portability. I just like the 50mm focal length better. :smile:
  5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    7-14 or 9-18 or 12mm. Go wide or go home!
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I could easily make do with just the 20mm or the 25mm, but money permitting I could certainly find a use for both.
  7. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Well, after taxes you'll have left...just kidding
  8. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    I wouldn't buy the 25mm, the 20mm is a wonderful lens and the half stop isn't worth the cost and size penalty to me.
    In your shoes, I'd be waiting on the Oly 75mm. :smile:
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'd wait. At least see what the performance and price of the fast zooms is, and then decide.
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    What I would add personally that seems to be lacking in your list, is a Lumix 7-14mm if you want an ultra-wide, or a Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit if you want to do some macro photography. Everything else you've got pretty well covered... least, until the m.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 Macro, Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8, and Lumix X 35-100mm f/2.8 come out. ;)

Of course, the Lumix 7-14mm f/4 will be the one which will remain the best in its field from now until a long time to come, whereas this year we will soon be learning if the m.Zuiko 60mm f/2.8 or the Leica 45mm f/2.8 Macro-Elmarit will be the better macro lens. Plus, you have many great legacy options for macro as well, but not many other options for ultra-wide.

I don't know where you feel you are most lacking in your capabilities now though, but those are a couple areas that I see gaps.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I can vouch for both of those - they're my two favorite lenses.

12. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    Did you not want to consider the 12mm f/2.0?
  13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Hold on to the money until you determine what you need.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I don't really like shooting wide; it's just not my style ...

And I have a manual macro lens, so I don't really need a native one.
  15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    I echo Hikari (he's always right). Put it in oil futures until you know exactly what you need/desire. If it doesn't itch ... don't scratch.