1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buy new OM-D EM-1, or wait for EM-6 (aka EM-5 "true successor")?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Colorbright, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

Ok, I 'm hoping this post gets some responses, because I am really interested in this topic (and of course in your thoughts on it). In addition, all due respect to those of you who have already purchased the new OM-1! So many of you probably know far more than I do about the m4/3rd universe, product release cycles, etc. that I look forward to reading your opinions. I'm also thinking that there must be other people out there with a similar question, so this post is for them, too:smile:

I love the OM-D EM-5, but of course (like so many people) I read about the "newest and greatest" successor, and my G.A.S. ( gear acquisition syndrome :wink:) starts to build up. Maybe yours has, too - at least a little bit.

However, after doing some initial research, apparently according to Olympus the new OM-D EM-1 is NOT the successor to the OM-D EM-5. It is actually supposed to be the successor to the E-5 (a sample quote follows further below).

That started me thinking: should I consider lining up to buy the new EM-1, or just wait for whatever the EM-5's 'true successor' will be? And if I wait, any guess as to how long will that might be? And just what will a 'true successor' look like, anyway? (ok, not certain any of us would know that answer to that question, but of course it occurred to me anyway.)

In other words, am I likely to end up staring at other people's nice shiny new OM-1s and thinking how silly I was to wait, or saying to myself "hurray, I waited and now look - that new EM-6 was just announced, and I actually have the cash to pay for it?" :wink:

As I previously mentioned, I welcome all your thoughts on the value of the OM-1s improvements, thoughts on if/when a 'true successor' to the EM-5 will show up - and most importantly, should I wait for the hypothetical 'OM-6', or look at getting an OM-1 in the near future?

Ok, thanks for reading this long post, and now here's one of the sample quotes I previously mentioned:

"Olympus has taken the covers off its latest OM-D Micro Four Thirds mirrorless camera, the E-M1. Touted as a successor to the E-5 DSLR (a category that Olympus hasn’t updated in some time), the E-M1 is designed to offer DSLR-level performance but in a highly compact mirrorless body."

Source: http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/olympus-announces-the-om-d-e-m1/#ixzz2gwURoYzx

2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I would buy what you are going to use now. Waiting for the latest and greatest will only have you waiting for the latest and greatest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    + 1.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    +1
    The latest and greatest isn't so much the gear as much as it is the photographs you're putting out.
    If you feel you've outgrown the E-M5 then so be it :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    The point in waiting for the E-M6 is not to get the latest and greatest, but because it will trade off some pro features and be lighter and cheaper than the E-M1. Since I don't have, or plan to get 4/3 lenses and no particular need for weather sealing, I would be inclined to wait and see if the E-M6 addresses what I'm not thrilled with in the E-M6.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Do you have om lens that you want decent af with? Do you shoot with c-af a lot. If not, don't bother.

The only reason to ever upgrade a body is if it will give you better photos. Depending on what you use now, it may or may not. Your money would probably be better spent on a class or on flash setups.

As for em6..... Who knows when if or what that may ever be so I'd you need a new body then get it...

• Like Like x 1
  7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Rebecca you're nuts :biggrin: and I say that in the most positive sense! 46 hours - wow!

I can guarantee you won't look at the E-M1 and think you want one (IMO). The 5 is a design statement and the 1 is a tool. That being said if you are using the horizontal grip with 5 a lot then the 1 is actually slightly lighter and smaller than the 5 with the landscape grip.

The big advantage of the 1 is AF speed and accuracy with 4/3 glass. If you are using m43 glass I don't think there is any significant advantage.

IQ is pretty similar. The fake ISO 100 is nice if you are shooting JPEGs but with RAW you can achieve the same result.

Beyond that there are a bunch nice ergonomic improvements, and the much better VF.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Yeah absolutely and that is what I meant.
    The only reason to move away from the E-M5 is if you have outgrown it or if there are some really obvious pain points for the OP.

9. Colorbright

Colorbright Mu-43 Regular

10. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    The E-M5 is also still pocketable with a pancake like the Panny 14 and without the grip. The E-M1 is not.

If I didn't have a second body and use 4/3 lenses I'd still be using the E-M5. I am so glad I resisted keeping it - I think :frown: :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Microman

Microman Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Don't forget the ergonomics. Personally, I find it very important that a camera feels right in my hands. I have to say the E-M1 is the best of them all. Really good grip. Much better than any other model with or without optional grip.

12. diableri

diableri Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2014
    Central CA
    I see this is an older topic but I wanted to pass along my perspective on this kind of thing.

I ask myself, "were the photos I made with this gear worth the cost difference between new and used"? That answer has always been yes because I value the photos I made yesterday more than those I may make tomorrow. There needs to be a good update/upgrade in new equipment (especially bodies for me) and if I have any doubts, then it's probably not yet time to update as far as a $ to value proposition.

Best of luck in your choices.