Buy Lightroom Now or Wait for 4.1?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by denniscloutier, Apr 11, 2012.

1. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    It sounds like Lightroom 4.1 is a worthwhile upgrade from 3.6, which is what I'm now using. For those of you who are using 4.0, should I upgrade now, or should I wait? Does anyone know if Adobe is likely to offer a free upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1? Also, am I likely to need to upgrade to get RAW support for the new EM5 I have on the way?

Has there been any hint as to when 4.1 might come out?

2. fljoe

fljoe Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    I was under the impression that any Lightroom 4.x version is a free upgrade if you own the 4.0 version.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yes, 4.1 will be free. No reason not to upgrade to 4.0 now, unless you want to automatically convert all your existing images to the new 2012 process engine.

There's a bug affecting some conversions, but Adobe (and the user community) don't recommend doing a batch update anyway. Just convert your catalog leaving all the processed images in the 2010 process, and reprocess specific images only when needed.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Just to add to what others have said, you would not need to upgrade to get E-M5 support. That will come down as a free upgrade to Adobe Camera Raw.
  5. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Lightroom is 50 bucks cheaper if you buy it with the em5.
  6. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I'm just upgrading

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the $50 break applies to the full purchase, not the upgrade. Please let me know if I'm wrong here, because then I'll try and add it to my pre-order.

7. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Ah, didn't realize you already had LR3. Yes I think it's full version that is 50 dollars off.
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It usually takes around 1 - 1 1/2 months between the release candidate (out as of a few weeks ago) and the final release. But the release candidate doesn't have E-M5 support, so I'd be surprised if the final version did either.

9. Drdave944

Drdave944 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2012
    They update free frequently ,especially as new cameras come out. They stop updating the old Lightroom 3.6 as soon as the LR4 comes out.I wish they would put lens corrections in for micro four thirds lenses. They do this for Canon and Nikon as well as Sigma and others.
  10. Muntz

Muntz Mu-43 Regular

Apr 23, 2010
    My understanding is that the lens correction is included in the RAW file for m43 as reported by each lens to the camera. It is applied automatically by Lightroom (and Camera Raw for that matter) when imported. I think it only applies distortion correction though, no vignette correction as some of the lens profiles do.