1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buy E-M5 tomorrow or wait with no camera for E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ranxoren, May 19, 2013.

1. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Title pretty much says it all :)
    A friend sold all his canon gear after playing with my E-M5 and falling in love with the m4/3 format.
    He was planning on buying the E-M5 tomorrow but just so he knows I let him know the E-P5 was just announced.

Now he's wondering whether he should buy E-M5 tomorrow or wait with no camera for E-P5 until its release (any confirmed dates?)

He's asked me to ask all the smart and helpful people out here to share their opinion :)

Thoughts?

2. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    If i were him and could live without a viewfinder and planned on doing video with manual lenses, I'd wait. If not i'd get the em5 now and the ep5 in 6-9 months

3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Get the E-M5. It's the camera he fell in love with, playing with yours. And the E-P5 is not an E-M5; it will handle differently.

If he loved the E-M5, jump in and get it. There's no certainly in -- anything; but tell him to get the camera he knows he likes.

4. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Ask your friend the following questions:
    - Is a built-in EVF important to him?
    - Which form factor does he prefer?
    - Which of the new features in the E-P5 that the E-M5 doesn't have are important to him?

Maybe these questions will help him decide.

5. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Thanks everyone ill pass these on!

6. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Actually one more question.
    I looked everywhere and can't seem to get a proper release date for the E-P5 for him.
    I see late May, June 5th, June 14th etc...

Anyone have any insight there?

7. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    I preordered mine through Adorama and was initially told Mid-June. Amazon is listing June 14th. Having said that - I had to discuss something with my salesman at Adorama and that morning the Olympus rep was in the store (damn it) with the EP5 and the VF4. He said had heard they were shooting for late May/Early June, but could not be definite about it. I am assuming the 6/14 date and will be very happy if it is earlier.

To the OP: Like was said, your friend has to decide which body style he likes more; which control system he likes more - a lot of people don't like the smallish buttons on the EM5; and most importantly does he want/need an EVF most of the time.

8. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Difficult one. I'd wait for the EP5 because the EM5 never got me much, but if he has a love affaire with it, buy it.

9. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I think the love affair came with the smaller form factor (coming from 5D MK II) and the ability to use all sorts of old glass.
    Biggest question it seems is integrated VF vs "buy separately" VF (since he is looking at Body Only + legacy glass).

10. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    Yup. Get the E-M5 unless the higher shutter speed and higher sync speed is important to him and he can live without an integrated viewfinder.

11. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    And without focus peaking if he wants to use legacy glass much.

12. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I just got one because I prefer built in EVF and tbh I fell in love with it as well.

13. abepak

abepak Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2013
    SFV, CA
    lol True. Although magnified view + IBIS makes up for some of it. I think that there's a slight chance that Olympus may bring focus peaking in a firmware update (although if it does happen, it'll probably be after the E-P5 ships so that it doesn't cut into those sales.)

14. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    We've been discussing about that in another thread and we all agree that it's very probable that Olympus will not update the EM5 with focus peaking, because she will put it in the next EM6.:rolleyes:

15. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Haha sounds about right. But the key line focus peaking trick on E-M5 works really well so I don't think that makes that much of a difference (to me).
    True focus peaking may better 10x better i don't know.

He's still debating. I think his current state of mind is buy it today. Have 15days (local store policy) to return it for full money back and hope that E-P5 comes out during that time so he can have a feel for both.

He doesn't wanna go a whole week or two without any gear which I understand :)

16. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    For someone coming from a 5dii, I'd be surprised if he could live without an eye-level EVF and IMHO, the EM-5 is a far better proposition than sticking the VF 4 on top of the E -P5:

- It's more robust
    - It looks better
    - It's smaller
    - You don't lose flash capability (well, decent flash with bounce and reasonable range)

Just my 2c/2p worth!

17. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Thanks again for the input (as we go) everyone :)

18. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    So he decided to get the E-M5 today and hope that the E-P5 will be in stores within the next 15 days so he can get a feel for both and decide.
    He really likes the Wi-Fi capability of the E-P5 along with the 1/8000 shutter speed but he also loves the integrated VF and weather sealing on E-M5.

This is a hard choice indeed.

19. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Yes, very hard choice.

20. ranxoren

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    I think what he's really worried about is picking up the E-M5 today and then the E-P5 comes out later than the 15 days exchange policy and he falls in love with the Pen (which I doubt).

Either way he doesnt want to be gearless until the E-P5 comes out.