Buy camera online?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Camphoto, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Camphoto

Camphoto New to Mu-43

Feb 24, 2011
    Do you buy online or prefer a dealer? Is Amazon legit for my order?
  2. Briar

Briar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 13, 2010
    Bonnie Scotland
    I usually buy my camera gear online as it's usually where the best prices are. I'm in Scotland and have bought without problems from amazon, warehouse express and srs microsystems. Have spent a small fortune on amazon over the years and never had any complaints about their service.
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Camphoto, I can't think of any reason why you would not consider Amazon a legitimate place to buy your camera, or your lenses.
  4. john1027

john1027 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 5, 2010
    Alexandria, VA USA
    Amazon is fine as well as many of the other big companies e.g. Adorama, B&H, etc. I personally try and deal locally with a small family owned business called PhotoCraft. They also have an online operation as well.

PhotoCraft, ePhotoCraft - Your anything and everything in Photography! Family Owned Since 1978

The manager/son is Eldar and he has the 7-14mm and yesterday was less than any else I found. He will on occasion price match as well. You will see the 7-14 listed on the link towards the bottom.

I find that Amazon is the best and easiest regarding returning items. I ended up buying my GF2 from Sammy's on the west coast (CA area) as they were the only business who had it when I was looking. First time for me there, but they were very good to deal with and other here have recommended them in the past.
  5. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I very much like Amazon in the UK.
    Never had any problems, and items sent free delivery often arrive quicker than the estimate given.
    I think Amazon is very keen to ensure that they themselves and all the vendors that sell through the site provide good service.
  6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Amazon is fine. Wait for a sale. Also make sure to check the manufacturers own websites. The cheapest place I've seen to buy a Panasonic M 4/3 is from... Panasonic. The cheapest place to buy a Canon DSLR is from... Canon. It's bizarre since they are undercutting their dealers but Lenovo does the same with laptops. Anyone who buys a Lenovo laptop from other than Lenovo is paying 20-40% too much.
  7. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Praise for Amazon as well... best prices, fastest shipping (especially with PRIME)

I like to make purchases when the item is actually "sold by Amazon" since it tends to be more accurate for shipping dates and content. Third party vendors through Amazon are good too, but it varies in ship time and availability.
  8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh, if you are going to buy from B&H, JandR,, Beach, etc, etc. Check their stores on ebay. The prices tend to be lower and you can get cashback. The receipt et al will be exactly the same as buying it from their normal websites.
  9. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Amazon is fine. Adorama fine, 17th Street Photo equally fine.

There are many. All nice to do business with.
  10. youry

youry Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2010
    Winston Salem, NC
    Amazon's return policy is great. You have 30 days, no questions asked. If you buy from Panasonic and for some reason you don't want it anymore, there is a 15% restocking fee.
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    While I prefer to support the local shop, if they wont match or even come close on the price, I will buy online.
  12. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    I have ordered at least three different cameras from Amazon and they are a good place to buy from. I even returned two other cameras that I was not happy with and they refunded all of my money.
  13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I buy all sorts of things online, camera gear included. Amazon is good, B&H, Adorama, Samy's, many others. I've never had a problem.

The one thing I won't do though is go into a local shop to look at a camera and ask questions about it and then walk out and order it online to save a few bucks. I figure that if I'm going to take advantage of a shop's knowledge and accessibility and actually use the shop, I should be willing to pay the premium and buy what I'm gonna buy at that shop. I worked in a camera shop for a while and even in those pre-internet days, it was a real drag to have somebody come in and take advantage of all of your knowledge and see and handle all of your gear only to have them walk out and buy it from an ad in the back of a magazine (or today, online). I bought my LX5 and Nex locally because I really wanted to handle them and check them out before buying. And I buy most accessories and little stuff locally because unless things have changes a LOT, the shops make more on bags and filters and other accessories than they do on cameras anyway, where the margins tend to be really small.

But if I know exactly what I want and don't need to check it out or ask questions beforehand (many of which I get answered here or elsewhere online), I'm very happy to shop online and save a bit.

14. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Amazon is terrific. I order almost everything I can through Amazon. They are wonderful to deal with, the prices are fair, and you can return things easily. It is no doubt one of the best companies out there.
  15. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ditto on I signed up for a trial membership in Amazon Prime, which for US customers provides free two-day shipping with no minimum order value. A warning on this service, however: it makes it WAY too easy to buy stuff on impulse...:wink:
  16. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    +1 on this fair warning.

Not to mention, sometimes the "next day delivery" option is only a few bucks.

It's so convenient, my in-store shopping is now limited to groceries.