1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Buy 12-35mm OR wait?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dannat, Aug 2, 2012.

1. dannat

dannat Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2010
    Melbourne Australia
    I am wanting the 12-35mm, I am wondering if i should wait till photokina -will the rumoured Oly 12-60mm materialise - IF so will the price of the 12-35mm come down a little , what do others think

i want the 12 but don't want to outlay 600+ for just the 12/2, when ill need to get the 20/1.7 or 25/1.4 & perhaps the 45/1.8 also - i am a minimalist so the 12-35 will replace them all

2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    At this point, if you're still waiting, I gather it's not an urgency on need. In that case, wait for next month to see what is announced and how close it might be (and price).

Otherwise, just buy the 12-35 now and enjoy it. I doubt the price will change significantly in the next 4-6 months.

3. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    I'm waiting to see if the 12-60mm really does appear - if it's in the same league as the 4/3 12-60mm it'll be stellar, and the range is much more useful than the 12-35, albeit at a very slight loss of speed.....

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Don't wait on a fast Olympus :43: zoom yet. Yes, fast zooms are what they were best known for in the classic 4/3 system, but for :43: they've stated a commitment to complete the "fixed focal length" lineup. Plus we've already got a handle on what's coming out this year... two fast zooms from Panasonic and two longer primes from Olympus. One from each company already here. Their actions match their words, so I wouldn't doubt the path they've each chosen to take.

For us as users it shouldn't matter much who makes what as long as it's being made. The fast zooms are being made for the Micro Four-Thirds system, under the Lumix X name... If a fast zoom is what you want, then I would buy what's available, or what we know will be available soon. The 12-35mm if you want a wider lens, or the 35-100mm if you want a longer lens. Panasonic has been making a very good showing of :43: optics.

• Like Like x 2
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I'd be very surprised if the price on the 12-35 goes anywhere. Look at Panasonic's other high-end zoom, the 7-14/4. It's held steady around $900 ever since release.

DH

6. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    I agree with all of the above. get the 12-35. It is a steller lens

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    If minimal is your preference this seems like the right option.

8. strang

strang Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2012
    I haven't been around that long but based on my experience it's hard to wait on rumours. Especially on camera gear.

Just because Olympus has had a 12-60mm F2.8-4 for 4/3, doesn't mean they'll minituraize it and produce it for m4/3. Think about how many photos you'll be able to take from now until September and perhaps even longer? Announcement date and shipping date are almost 3 months apart in some instances, worst case scenario it might be this time next year before you manage to get your hands on a 12-60mm.

The 12-35mm will not depreciate in value. By the time 12-60mm rolls around and you really wanted it, just sell and get the 12-60!

I stay away from Panasonic zooms because I see OIS as a redundant weight and size addition. However if you ever get on a Panasonic body, it's absolutely required.

9. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Although I own the lens, I still wonder if it was the right decision...convenient, yes...as good as primes? No. There are trade-offs for everything...no perfect options.

As far as waiting for the next-best-thing...it may come, it may not. Oly might release a 12-60, and it might weigh 600g, or not be as sharp as the Pan, etc. If something is ideal for me, I don't wait (unless it's for financial reasons). Technology is updated too often and too quickly to worry about what's next.

10. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Well, I'd like a fast 12-60mm but I'm not going to wait around for one - I agree with Ned it's unlikely they're going to release a 12-60 when Olympus has already announced two high quality primes. I also like the fixed aperture quite a bit, so I went with the 12-35mm as it's available today and excellent quality.

I consider the 12-35 to be the best zoom I've used, and equal to my primes for overall optical quality (though not necessarily individual rendering qualities). However, I'm not selling off my primes for the zoom. They still have larger aperture and other qualities that I appreciate independently of the 12-35. For example, the 45mm f/1.8 is a better portrait lens in terms of length and bokeh / DoF, and the 20mm works a lot better as a pancake than the 12-35 :wink: