1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Button line, could Olympus ever, ever produce something close to this? ↓

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by gilo9652, Jun 11, 2015.

1. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    Sony just announced this one:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/89...tm_medium=homepage-block&ref=features-default

Now, a wonder of a professional stills photographer and future inspired videographer(slowly we learn), could Olympus come up with something even near to that sony high tech when having the 4 times smaller sensor ?

I should say that moments of change like this shift the balance in the mirrorless field that used to be FOR olympus back than simply to other brands. It is worrying....

Right now I'm invested in Oly. With the em5ii 12-40, 45, 40-150.

What could possibly Oly do that could even get close to what sony is doing with its technology...

Got ideas, shoot E'm .. I hope for good, and i hope not to feel one day that I'm stuck and the brands around offering something that is just better for my career and for my potential results.

You have that amount of patient... Olympus should do something good, very good, and it better be in the near future.. If you ask me.

2. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Sony is using Olympus' 5-Axis IS and Olympus using Sony sensors. The EM1 is 1/3 of the cost of the Sony and the EM1 mkII hasn't even been announced yet. What more do you need than what you have exactly that is going to make you a better photographer? the EM1 is already more than most people need.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yes, the new A7 appears to offer some amazing features, notably being the first camera to offer 4K video and 5-axis IBIS in the same body. But it's a really big camera and as such I don't see it as a direct competitor to the :mu43: offerings.

Obviously if you feel that you NEED 4K video and IBIS today (or whenever the new Sony actually becomes available) then you should make the jump.

Despite the technical advances being rolled out in other systems, my E-M5 (not to mention my E-PL1) still suits my needs just fine and I expect it will continue to do so for the near future. Further by the time 4K video (or 8K, or whatever comes next) matures to the point that it becomes mainstream I expect that Olympus and Panasonic will develop capable solutions. If not, then I'll worry about making the leap from :mu43: at that point.

4. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    Sir, photography as you know composed of the tools you have and your talent and capabilities. When both are really really good, you can have a better results. So please, lets leave aside this claim. A better camera is ALWAYS a needed thing in our field.

Oly is not in the league of this sony money wise, but lets put money aside. As i become more professional i would be very happy with olympus answering here.

One thing you are right, the price range of the em1 is saying it all- it is not about providing the MOST pro. tech that exists. And i hope it could change.

What could olympus possibly do...

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't agree with this statement at all. It sorta seems to me like you're just trying to stir up arguments here.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I also disagree. A camera that is "better" on the statistics page but which you might almost never utilize in ways that you can't utilize the one you've got does not make you a better photographer. Gear for the sake of gear is a pitfall best avoided.

• Like Like x 2
  7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    If that is what you believe, then you are not going to find the answer to what it is you are looking for here.

If you want to have a meaningful conversation, then it would help if you answered the question already posed, which is what do you think Olympus should do and what is your current gear not doing for you that the new Sony appears to do for you?

Also remember that one persons needs are not the same as others.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 4
  8. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, the lenses makes all of the difference, particularly on the long end which is why I used the Zeiss Loxia 35/2 which happens to be my preferred FL.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The bottom line is ... they just did.
    It's called the A7RMkII

• Like Like x 1
  11. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Referencing the title "could Olympus ever, ever produce something like this...?"

Well, sure. Look at the advance of technology. 5 years ago, the e-m1 sensor was an impossible rumor. A 50mp full-frame sensor was science fiction, yet both are in consumer cameras today.

Technology advances all of the formats over time. The question of whether MFT will equal it's equivalent FF generation peers is not likely. But it will advance and one day MFT will equal today's best FF until or unless some theoretical limit is reached.

At the moment sensor technology seems to be exceeding the resolving ability of lenses, so maybe diminishing returns on megapixels is already here.

I'd like to see MFT able to shoot at low ISO and reduce noise, and in sure that will continue to improve, but I think it is the Indian, not the Arrow at this point.

12. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Agreed. With the smaller primes the size difference isn't as big. That said, it's not totally insignificant either. And then you also have to consider the added weight. The A7's certainly an interesting camera, but I don't see myself making the leap.

13. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The only small primes are for the 28-55mm range, though. I guess if that's all you shoot, but then you might as well get an RX1 if it has to be FF.

14. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Touch screen No

While I rarely use it I don't think Olympus could actually make a camera without one now, so no - Olympus couldn't make it.

15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Let's get it out of the way...the A7R II is a remarkable piece of technology. It's like an April Fool's joke or an absurd fanboy's request list, except it's real.

- Full frame backside-illuminated (!) sensor? Check.
    - 42 megapixels? Check.
    - 5-axis IBIS? Check.
    - 4K video? Check.
    - On sensor phase detect AF (that works with Canon lenses)? Check.
    - Largest viewfinder on any digital camera? Check.
    - Silent shutter? Check.
    - Weather-sealing? Che...err, let me get back to you on that one.

It's a crazy, ridiculous technical tour de force. Undeniably. A new benchmark.

...But then once the surprise and euphoria wears off, some doubts start to creep in.

- It's still got the 11+7 bit compressed RAW format (from the horse's mouth). That's a problem.
    - It doesn't have a touch-screen. That's a big operational disadvantage, and not something I want to go back to with my photography.
    - It weighs 625g for just the body. Put any lens on it worth using, and I'm nearly doubling what my GX7 + lens weighs.
    - It costs $3200 body-only, which is about as much as I've spent on all my photography purchases over my entire life.
    - Sony's lenses are still really big, and still really expensive. I don't need M4/3 to make lenses that are equivalent to FF. I need FF to make lenses that are equivalent to M4/3 to compete on size and usability.
    - Even my modest M4/3 kit of the 20mm/1.7, 14-140 mk. 1, and 7.5mm/3.5 fisheye doesn't really have any equal in the FE system, and there's no foreseeable expectation that they will in the future. There are no affordable pancakes; no superzoom except the soft, massive, heavy, $1000 24-240mm; no cheap wide-angle of any description.

At this stage of the game, I just can't comprehend or justify building a kit around the FE system. Maybe if I had an E-M1 with a 12-40/2.8, 40-150/2.8, 7-14/4 and a handful of primes, having spent $5000+ on my kit, I might be making side-long glances at the Sony. But if that were the case, I'd hopefully be too busy drooling over the spectacular images coming out of my camera to be wasting my time...

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sony always has some amazing specs on paper, but for some reason they always fall short when it comes to practical use. Size-wise, it's too big to be considered a small rig unless you're using MF lenses; the AF lenses are just as big as Canon/Nikon glass; the prices of the lenses are absurd and continuous AF still hasn't improved to match their DSLR counterparts.

I'm shooting Sony right now adjacent to my Olympus mirrorless gear and I'm still not convinced Sony has what it takes to knock Canon/Nikon off the top perch. All these so-called pros switching to Sony are just paid shills marketing to the disposable income of the 30-something male demographic.

• Agree Agree x 5
  17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Well put. Except that at north of $3k, they're probably shooting more for the larger wallets of the 40- and 50-something demographic with the new A7.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. gilo9652

gilo9652 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2015
    Gil
    I think that an image out of this a7rii will be better, easily to notice , than from olympus.

I would like oly to do something big. The sony with its lenses sits in between m4/3 and dslr size wise IMO. The huge tech in the sony and its sensor is very seg. and of course it is. Its a system that will enable me to take better IQ pics, will open night sky genre too, will shoot in a better iso range-low or high, will have a probably noticeably better DR and overall IQ - as a result its a better tool, its dramatic aspect of a camera-and thats only in stills. Not to talk of video now....

I have said it before in other thread, i don't understand what is the reason to pretend nothing happens-small systems around are getting better, and it starts to be marginally better. I love oly but when market around evolves rapidly like that it makes me look around and ask these questions.

19. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Not to say that Sony doesn't have compelling products, but I wish they weren't so spastic in regards to their camera strategy. It seems each new camera release is just meant to hit the latest bullet points in their specs sheet. I was about to dump M43 and go Sony for my mirrorless system, but after spending some time with Sony bodies and lenses, I found so many small quirks that made me realize it's just not adequate to cover all my needs. Though for the areas I use the Sony bodies, they perform admirably.

In fact, I've come to the conclusion in order to maximize one's photographer potential, you really just have to own multiple systems. Each system has their strength and weaknesses. That's why I find these "pro" switching exclusive to one system are just fooling the masses. Real pros should own a whole gamut of different bodies and lenses!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1