1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

But you can't make a "real" camera that small... Can you???

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by NoTan2, Mar 16, 2014.

1. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Long time Nikon owner, Medium Format film and 35mm before that. (Let's not talk about the Box Brownies.)
    I've decided that all work and no play is just plain dull and have decided to start doing some more frequent travel. Sized up the backpack holding the D7000, lenses, flashes and thought, "Sorry, you can't come".

My wife likes her Panno TZ30 and it's easy to carry but it's not... well, you know... it's just not a DSLR.

But I can't let her have all the fun taking photos. Oh well, I'll just have to make some sacrifices for portability. Sony RX100 looks nice but, no viewfinder? Can't have that. NEX 6 is dropping in price, similar sensor to my D7000, but hmmm, some hardware issues reported.

Back to more research. Some nice looking Fuji's. But all of these little cameras are missing one thing or another that I can't just can't do without. What's that one? - an Olympus OMD EM5 - looks a bit like the OM1-n I used to own back in the 70s. Looks a bit too big, though. Let's have a closer look, anyway. OK, it ticks all the boxes and it does kind of look like a real camera.

One of the local department stores has it on special and none of the "real" camera stores around town want to match the price. I manage to convince the salesman that it's been superseded by the EM10 ("10" is bigger than "5", isn't it?) and he drops the price a bit more and throws in an SD card. It's sitting next to a D5200 and it's much smaller in real life than it looks on the PC screen.

So now I've owned one for 24 hours. So far, I'm shocked - it's really very impressive. Maybe no sacrifices at all for portability?

This looks a great site. Looking forward to lots of reading and maybe getting some tips on my first prime. 17mm f1.8 looks good. Bit pricey here in Australia, though.

Cheers,
    Paul.

• Like Like x 3
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Enjoy Paul - that D7000 will be on eBay within a month!

• Like Like x 1
  3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The E-M5 is the camera that almost convinced me to sell my 5DII, and did result in the latter sitting on the shelf almost unused for months. It's an excellent camera, if you get along with the tiny buttons and grip (some hate, some love; I loved the size/handling, buttons were OK). The E-M1 is better, though a little bit bigger. (I won't mention the A7r other than to say it's also awesome and a perfect complementary companion for me, and let me keep a full frame system that's about the same size as the MFT system…)

Enjoy!

4. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    E-M5, now E-M1, and my D7000 is positively lonely. I get a 12-35/2.8 that's much smaller than even the 16-85/3.5-5.6, let alone the 17-55/2.8. I get the same MP. I get a slightly larger VF, although electronic (with it's own pluses and minuses). I get a whole kit in a tiny bag rather than a big backpack.

I loose the dual card slots. I loose the little IR remote.

Hard to see any image quality differences. Probably loose a bit of ISO and DR, but I really can't tell.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Now that's what I call an introduction!

Looking forward to reading more about your adventures mate. :thumbup:

6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Good work Paul ;
    You can assume it doesn't have the latest firmware which gives the E-M5 some new functionality ... check the thread on that business.

7. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    enjoy it before the 'laws of physics' folks find out about it!

8. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    For the small size, fast focusing, high quality build and imaging, low price, and beauty of the thing, it can't be beat. I've seen it as low as $799 CAD($710USD) with the 12-50 kit lens! I got mine for 9 bills, but hey, why get mad? Cheaper just means more people buy in. More people buy in, the bigger client base Olympus gets, the more lenses and bodies available down the road.

If you plan on using 4/3 lenses, it might be worth paying double the body price for the EM1, but other than that, all you miss out on from cameras several times the price is in-camera HDR, in-camera panoramic, and in-camera connectivity. Not bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

9. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Thanks everyone for your warm welcome. I'm glad to see this is a friendly site.

It's obvious that the OMD needs a fair bit more configuration and setup than a Nikon for convenience, so I started reading through the manual but then thought "Nah, just go and take some photos". So I set the ISO to 200, WB to Daylight, format to RAW and everything else looked good to go for a quick familiarisation.

The things that stood out are the small controls, but after some config and use it will be fine. The autofocus (at least in a non-challenging sunny environment) was lightning fast. The EVF was a big surprise. I switched to MF for a few shots and I found it much easier to focus manually than the OVF on the Nikon. This is starting to worry me.

Firmware is currently v1.5, Ulfrich. I noticed that some of the earlier updates were not cumulative. Can I go straight to v2.0 from v1.5?

bassman, I couldn't resist compaing some images to the D7000 and have come to the same conclusions as you.

JCW, it's much more expensive here and still being advertised at more than the EM10. I eventually paid less than an equivalent EM10 (which I would have had to drive 3 hours in each direction to buy anyway).

Thanks again and I look forward to joining in.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    Yep, you can jump to 2.0. I'm surprised yours shipped with 1.5 - mine had 1.6 out of the box. Older stock I guess.

11. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Welcome!

Sounds about right. There's a whole lot you can do with an E-M5. It's a brilliant little camera!

• Like Like x 1
  12. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    It really is worth it to spend the hour or two with the guide running through the menus and settings. I had no idea how to get to the SCP, had turned image stabilization to 3 just because it was a higher number, and various other things you get for not reading what they do.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Did the same thing when I got my E-PM1 last month. And that was despite folks here telling me how different the menu system was compared to my Panasonics. The SCP really does make all the difference.

14. NoTan2

NoTan2 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Newcastle NSW Australia
    Paul
    Completely agree. It's just that the sun was shining, the battery was charged and I was sitting inside staring at a PC screen reading a PDF. I skimmed the entire manual after I finished playing.
    I like manuals so much that I bought Thom's 800+ page guide to my D7000 and read all of it. :smile:

I'm assuming that others have shared their favorite setups and tips here as well? I only discovered this site a few days ago and haven't had time to look around very much yet. (Which I'll make a start on this evening.)

15. JCWOlson

JCWOlson Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2014
    I'm nowhere near that dedicated - I read an 18-ish page web book on it, read how everything worked, used some of the recommended settings, made some of my own choices, and it made a huge difference - the biggest being that I knew what I was doing.

My first day using my E-M5, I didn't really touch any settings, and went and photographed a trip to Edmonton - hadn't even taken out out of medium jpeg. The shots were garbage. So much for paying to get into the Harry Potter exhibit.

16. gswpete

gswpete Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2011