But a Lesson Learned in Time

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Phocal, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    a

Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    • Like Like x 12
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Great write up that's going to cost me money......
    Time to order a lens align I guess to really check my lenses

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    "While looking at the photos I suspected the micro focus could have been off." Can you elaborate on this feature?

Great shots BTW, regardless of what you think is off, lol. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Great shots though...
    Could it be you changed MySets or reloaded a saved config?

Last month I went to the beach with my 12-40 and 40-150...
    This weekend I took them and a 135/2.8 + focal reducer to a kids' performance, indoors... With the 135 at 95/2.0 I was getting ISOs around 250-400 at 1/160, but when I switched to the 40-150/2.8 it was mostly at 1200-1600. I double checked the shutter speed and aperture, and continued shooting.
    Afterwards, when I was putting the cap back on, I noticed the front of the lens was really dark... CPL still mounted! :doh:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

• Informative Informative x 3
  7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

• Like Like x 1
  8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

• Like Like x 1
  9. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Thanks mate,
    its $135AU for the mk2 kit which in the big scheme of money spent on lenses is chicken feed.
    I've spent the last few nights working my way through the first 2 days of tennis shots from January, about 7000 odd images to cull down and whilst i'm doubtful that i'm seeing micro focus issues with the 40-150Pro there is just enough doubt on some of the images that i think it's worth the money to check, besides i do have the 4/3 50-200 that whilst largely relegated could be worth at least calibrating on both em1.1 and em1.2.
    Cheers

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @Phocal@Phocal, I've ordered a 150/2 & EC-20, and I already have an EC-14. Your posts here have proven the importance of calibrating the lens by itself as well as with each of the converters. My question is, is the LensAlign system really necessary?

With a telephoto lens + the converters, one should really be using the large ruler, which when added to the base kit, brings the cost over $200. I'd really hate to buy this, only to really only use it once for one lens & 2 teleconverters. Instead, I was planning on taking the lens to an area with a distant brick wall, and shooting in 5-position increments for the focus adjust. Then, I'd load those images on to my computer, look at them to determine which two increments are the best, before going and shooting at each focus adjust point between those two initial points. I'd go and load those images on to the computer to determine which focus adjust point is ideal. I'd then repeat this with the EC-14 & EC-20.

In my head, this sounds fine and a logical way to go about calibrating the lens as well as each of the TC's, but I'd be curious to get your input on it since you've gone through the calibration process before with a number of lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Could you also just use a meter / yard stick with well defined increments and put it on a 45 degree ramp (i.e. couple pieces of wood screwed together)? That way you know exactly the measurement tick that you intended to focus on, and you see very precisely which direction you are off, and by how much?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

14. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @Phocal@Phocal thanks for the detailed write-up.

You're certainly correct about the cost of a LensAlign being a drop in the bucket compared to our overall expense in this hobby/profession. However, much like buying tires for your car, or running all new electrical for a room renovation, people don't like to spend money on things that aren't readily tangible (despite them keeping you safe, or in this case, resulting in better photographs).

I think my biggest concern about getting a LensAlign is that I've already planned out my photography purchases for the next month, which when combined with my recent purchases (12-40 PRO, 40-150 PRO, 150/2 SHG, EC-20) have left my "camera funds" account quite depleted. Having said that, it's something that come the June-ish timeframe, I should be able to pick up.

You bring up a good point about m43 lenses in C-AF situations. I just purchased a 40-150 PRO, which will replace my 50-200 SWD, and it will be used extensively with C-AF. Because of this, it would make sense to perform the focus adjustment with this lens as well.

I think the LensAlign is a worth investment for those looking to get the most of their lenses (which if you're spending $1000+ on a lens, you probably are). However, it'll just be something I'll have to wait a couple months to pickup at this point. In the meantime, I may find myself a yardstick, prop it up at an angle, and attempt to do a manual calibration to get me by until I can get ahold of a LensAlign.

Speaking of which, why does nobody rent these out? It seems like a perfect item to rent out, because it's not something people will use every day. It's something that someone could rent for a weekend for say, $50, calibrate their lenses, and then ship it back. They get the benefit of tuning the focus for all of their lenses without having to spend the money to fully purchase one, and you would get the benefit of making your money multiple times over on the investment.

15. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, I may do some impromptu testing with a tilted yard stick to get me through in the interim, and it'll be interesting to see how the 40-150 PRO does out-of-box compared to adjusted. I guess the question I have there is, we would need to be using C-AF with m43 lenses so that PDAF would be used, and NOT S-AF which would use CDAF, right?

Regarding the 40-150 PRO, I was really surprised when I got it yesterday just how well-built it feels and how light it is. IMO, the tripod collar isn't necessary, as the lens itself weighs 777g with just the front & rear caps. The lens hood brings the total closer to 900g, but it's still much less than the 50-200 SWD + MMF-3. I'll be selling the 50-200 SWD, and will instead be using the 40-150 PRO & 150/2 SHG along with the EC-14 & EC-20.

18. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    a

• Informative Informative x 2
  19. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Good to know about the camera automatically switching in to PDAF in the MFA menu @Phocal@Phocal.

As for the 40-150 PRO vs 50-200 SWD, you're exactly right. The 40-150, even with the MC-14, doesn't have the necessary reach for shooting wildlife. When at the zoo last weekend, I regularly shot my 50-200 SWD with the EC-14 attached. However, in my case I'm more interested in shooting sports (motorsports, track & field, etc.) than wildlife, and that's where having the dual-coil AF motors in the 40-150 PRO will be beneficial. The 150/2 SHG with the EC-14 & EC-20 will get its fair share of use at the zoo for sure though, as the reach is invaluable.

It's funny you mention the BlackRapid dual strap. I have that on my list of things to get this summer for shooting at the track. I can have one camera & the 40-150 PRO on one side, and another camera with the 150/2 SHG on the other. Also, with the weight of the 150/2 SHG, the tripod foot will definitely be staying on, as that's where I'll mount my 1/4-20 screw for my strap. FYI, this is what I was using with my 50-200 SWD on the tripod foot. It gives me a 1/4-20 mount for my strap, but still provides the arca-swiss mounting points for use on a tripod or monopod. It's worked very well, and is what I'll use on my 150/2 SHG as well.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Try this instead of a yardstick. There are probably others too.
    Jeffrey's Autofocus Test Chart

• Like Like x 1