1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Busy Bokeh with B&W UV Filter?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by j.SoundLabs, May 21, 2012.

1. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    I know that there has been a decent amount written about what inexpensive/cheap filters can do to your image & bokeh, but I thought I had an excellent quality filter and am still seeing a busy & double outline in my bokeh.The filter is a B&W F-Pro 1X MRC UV & Haze filter mounted on my Panny 20mm and thought that I'd be immune from such cheap filter side-effects, but alas I see things I don't like. Has anyone else had the same experience with a B&W (or other non-inexpensive) filter?

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

I can post examples if that would help.

2. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    Sure. Post some photos.

I get busy bokeh with the 20mm lens also sometimes, and that's without any filters.

3. Pyro451

Pyro451 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Massachusetts, USA
    Steve
    I have B+W 007M (clear, multicoated) on my Oly 45, PL 25, and PL 45-175. No strange Bokeh on any of them.

B+W was the best "clear only" filter I could find for that small of a filter thread. Heliopan does make one for over $70, but that is a bit steep for a protection filter on a $400-$500 lens.

I like the Hoya HD clear filters even better (have one on my Oly 12-50). They have a specially hardened glass to give better impact protection along with excellent optics.

4. j.SoundLabs

j.SoundLabs Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2011
    Philadelphia
    Jason
    Thanks for the quick replies, I'll get some photos up this evening. It is interesting that you've had busy bokeh without any filters, Parka.

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I don't use protective filters and I sometimes got very ugly bokeh when shooting with the 20mm lens, especially if the subject was about 2 meters away from the camera. In close-focus situations, bokeh is fine.