Busted printer! Darn UPS!

Discussion in 'Printing' started by speedandstyle, Mar 19, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last week I ordered a Canon printer from B&H as it was more than half off. Well after UPS sent the package to the wrong town, delaying it over the weekend, I finally got it today.

When I started opening the outer box I noticed one corner was dented a fair amount. No biggy, the packing material should take care of it, wrong! The Canon box inside has a horrible looking dent in it's corner.

I open that box and what do I find? The styrofoam in little pieces and two of the ink cartridges with bent mounting tabs. I then pull out the printer and the exit chute door pops open at an angle. CRAP!

I submitted the complaint to B&H so we will see how they handle it. This is actually the second printer I have had UPS damage from dropping. A couple of years ago I had this happen. UPS needs to hire better people!
  2. speedandstyle

B&H had me check and see if the printer functioned, which it does. So the are sending me replacement ink cartridges to replace the damaged ones and crediting me back $25. I am very happy with the outcome.
  3. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    With so many bad reports I'm quite surprised that UPS still exists :tongue:
    Had one myself this week with my package :mad:
  4. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

UPS can be a nightmare. I kid you not, a couple of years ago the UPS guy rolled a box into my office, end over end, with his foot.

The box has components for my office's new server. It said CDW on the sides in huge letters, so it was pretty clear what kind of stuff was inside.

I just couldn't believe that he did it, and right in front of us, like nothing was wrong. The only good news was that the supervisor I spoke to at UPS couldn't believe it either... :tongue:
  5. speedandstyle

It isn't just UPS. I once read a horror story of a thread on a car forum. The writer had bought a new crate engine for his ride. When they were unloading the crate off the truck it slipped off the forklift and landed upside down on the street. The engine shattered into hundreds of pieces. A car that was passing by on the other side of the road was hit by some of them and suffered minor body damage. One of the parts landed inches away from the writer's wife. In the end the damage was several thousand dollars and could have been worse if that part had hit the wife. All because the delivery guy was careless. At least in that case the guy was fired!
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    My UPS issue was last year when I ordered a Fuji X10 from B&H. UPS simply lost it. The tracking site showed every day for a week that it was "out for delivery". B&H refunded my money but I ended up buying the X10 from Amazon because B&H was out of stock at that point. I felt bad that B&H took the hit for UPS's incompetence.
  7. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    UPS and Fedex both have a 4' maximum drop that packages go through on the conveyors. Stuff happens. Nice thing about UPS is they insure for whatever you want. Same with USPS. Fedex will not insure past 1K.
    Never had a problem with UPS. Out of 200+ mandolins and guitars that I have shipped with them, one was broken. Took a month, but UPS refunded $7,000+.
    Many times the shippers do a lousy job of packaging.
    I have seen packages thrown 6-7' though...
  8. speedandstyle

So somebody someplace got a free X10? I bet B&H filed for the insurance on it. Heck I bet they file every month for at least one item. Think about how many things they ship every day.
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I've shipped and received a ton (not literally) of motorcycle parts and accessories. I've completely given up on UPS. The majority of packages I turned over to UPS ended up with damaged packaging (I follow up with the people I sell to). Fortunately, I pack well enough that most of the items sere not damaged, but I sometimes wonder if UPS drivers take damaging the packages as a challenge. The local news here, during the Christmas season, showed several videos of UPS drivers mis-handling packages. My favorite was the guy who threw a flat-screen TV over a fence.

My experience with USPS is much, much better.

Don't feel sorry for them. B&H makes the choice to use UPS; no one is forcing them to do so.
  10. speedandstyle

I assume you are talking about Priority Mail? I have had several packages just disappear when shipped Parcel. So I now only ship by Priority with delivery confirmation.
  11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I sometimes shoot catalog photos for one of Canada's largest industrial and safety distributors, and they get their sample products shipped in by UPS. I have seen all sorts of mangled boxes and products. :)
  12. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    The best way to insure that a package isn't destroyed is to have it shipped to a local UPS store. If it shows up there damaged, you open it in front of the UPS people. Instant proof.