1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Busted E-PL1 Screen

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by wlewisiii, Jun 30, 2014.

1. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    So, while trying to deal with a family issue last night my trusty E-PL1 took a dive from the table and landed on the screen. I didn't notice till today that it has a big crack and will no longer display.

Thankfully I'm one of those who hates chimping anyway and had bought a VF-3 for it when I got the body. It still works fine that way.

So is this repairable? Or more importantly, _worth_ repairing? It'll function till I can afford a replacement body (good excuse for the better high ISO performance of a PL5/PM2) and the resale value even with everything fully functional is minimal.

Ah, well, I know the answers to these questions. I just needed a slight rant more out of sadness at a decent little camera getting smacked up like that for no good reason. Didn't even get a good picture last night. So instead, I'll leave you with one from experimenting with my new FD adaptor and my mothers old 50/1.8 she bought with her AE-1 once upon a lifetime ago... This was just a couple of hours earlier yesterday.

_6292346.JPG

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It is probably not worth fixing....

I purchased a few months ago a second used E-PL1 in good condition for $85 (shipping not included) on Ebay. I think I recently saw a Buy it now one for $100 on ebay too. Another member here had quoted two places for an unrelated repair at $200+ and my guess your will be more.

For me personally... If the camera is completely usable with just the VF3 (I can't recall if all the menus are accessible) I'd experiment with removing the filter stack on it and trying infrared. Focus accuracy may be affected but for IR adapted lenses are still an option too. Then simply buy another micro 4/3rds on the used market to replace it for more frequent use.

• Like Like x 1
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    • Like Like x 2
  4. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    That's no worse than fixing my son's Nintendo DS. May just do that, thanks!