Busted E-PL1 Screen

wlewisiii

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
William B. Lewis
So, while trying to deal with a family issue last night my trusty E-PL1 took a dive from the table and landed on the screen. I didn't notice till today that it has a big crack and will no longer display.

Thankfully I'm one of those who hates chimping anyway and had bought a VF-3 for it when I got the body. It still works fine that way.

So is this repairable? Or more importantly, _worth_ repairing? It'll function till I can afford a replacement body (good excuse for the better high ISO performance of a PL5/PM2) and the resale value even with everything fully functional is minimal.

Ah, well, I know the answers to these questions. I just needed a slight rant more out of sadness at a decent little camera getting smacked up like that for no good reason. Didn't even get a good picture last night. So instead, I'll leave you with one from experimenting with my new FD adaptor and my mothers old 50/1.8 she bought with her AE-1 once upon a lifetime ago... This was just a couple of hours earlier yesterday.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It is probably not worth fixing....

I purchased a few months ago a second used E-PL1 in good condition for $85 (shipping not included) on Ebay. I think I recently saw a Buy it now one for $100 on ebay too. Another member here had quoted two places for an unrelated repair at $200+ and my guess your will be more.

For me personally... If the camera is completely usable with just the VF3 (I can't recall if all the menus are accessible) I'd experiment with removing the filter stack on it and trying infrared. Focus accuracy may be affected but for IR adapted lenses are still an option too. Then simply buy another micro 4/3rds on the used market to replace it for more frequent use.

HarryS

Mu-43 Top Veteran

wlewisiii

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
William B. Lewis
That's no worse than fixing my son's Nintendo DS. May just do that, thanks!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom