Burst speed

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by rash_powder, Oct 22, 2011.

1. rash_powder

rash_powder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    I read on here somewhere that when the GH2 takes a picture it converts it to a jpeg and applies some processing to it to adjust color and such to whatever your settings are. This, I imagine, takes some processing time.

So I thought if I set the camera to RAW only, I should be able to run burst longer without hitting the buffer as it shouldn't be doing as much processing to the file.

Through testing I found this to be very wrong and I don't know why.

I get that the RAW file is larger, but why does it hit the buffer faster in any mode that uses RAW, including RAW only? I thought since it wasn't applying any custom settings or anything it would use less processor time and therefore write quicker.

Why is this?

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The JPEG processing reduces the file size and therefore write time substantially, more than enough to offset the processing time.
  3. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    The RAW files are significantly larger than the JPEG.
  4. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Sports photographers who shoot bursts to capture a moment tend to shoot jpegs. You'll get more frames before the buffer fills. Smaller file = more buffer space.

Even if you shoot raw the camera has to process the file for previews. Raw files contain a preview jpeg. These can be extracted with something like Instant Jpeg From Raw. Aperture can be set to use the embedded jpeg for previews thus speeding up the import process.
  5. rash_powder

rash_powder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    So it isn't a processing thing, its a write speed issue.

Thanx all!
  6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
  7. Tom Swaman

Tom Swaman Mu-43 Veteran

You may want to take a look at Page 76 of he GH2 Owner's Manual.

Best regards,