Burnley Camera Club Annual Print Competition

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
In complete and utter shock...

Following on from my local camera club's annual digital projected image competition, this week was the turn of printed media.

As per last week, the images were reviewed by an independent judge. The competition was broken down into 6 categories and each category split into colour prints and mono prints, 1 image in each per person (12 images in total), plus a special category where a single image must have been taken with a prescribed geographical area. The process per category was... go through the set of mono entries, the judge holds back the ones they want to review again and then they choose their top four, the winners from each category section going through into best in competition (chosen by the same judge). Then repeat for colour... then repeat for each category.

The categories were:
• Natural History, colour & mono
• Open, colour & mono
• Pictorial, colour & mono
• Photojournalism, colour & mono
• Portrait, colour & mono
• Record, colour & mono
• Calder Cup, colour or mono or a bit of both

This was my second annual, last year I did ok, picking up a few places and one 1st, but this year was much more successful... a lot more successful... inordinately more successful!

13 prints entered, 1 print held back but didn't place, 11 placed... 3x 3rd place, 3x 2nd place, 5x 1st places, best mono print in competition and best colour print in competition.

I need a glass of something strong!

Here are my print entries, all taken with my OMD-EM10ii, C&C is always welcome, I'm always looking to improve!:

NATURAL HISTORY - MONO - 1st place.
Fruit Bat
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

NATURAL HISTORY - COLOUR - 1st place. Also won best colour print in competition
Llama
P2190182-Edit-2-1-2.jpg

OPEN - MONO - did not place
Balloon Burst in Triptych
P7020233-Edit-1-2.jpg

OPEN - MONO - 3rd place
Tower Ballroom Waltzers
P7280170-Edit-1-2.jpg

PICTORIAL - MONO - 1st place. Also won best mono print in competition
Pop!
P7020059-1-3.jpg

PICTORIAL - COLOUR - 3rd place
On the Rocks
P9088784-1-3.jpg

PHOTOJOURNALISM - MONO - 1st place
Hong Kong Riot Police
PA310240-1-3.jpg

PHOTOJOURNALISM - COLOUR - Top 6 but did not place
Blackpool International Fireworks Championship
P9210047-Edit-1.jpg

PORTRAIT - MONO - 2nd place
Jessica
P9180152-1-3.jpg

PORTRAIT - COLOUR - 1st place
If Looks Could Kill
PC300305-Edit-1 (new).jpg

RECORD - MONO - 3rd place
Gerbera
P8130255-Edit-1-2.jpg

RECORD - COLOUR - 2nd place
Comedy Carpet
PA220366-HDR-Edit-1.jpg

CALDER CUP - 2nd place
Our Eddie's
P1180008-Edit-1-2.jpg

Last edited:

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
I'm shocked that you are shocked. Excellent work - consistently so.

Did you tell them you shot them on a toy camera system though? Proper togs use Sonys and Leicas :)
Thanks Richard, it's appreciated.

They all know I use an Oly, and I take a bit of stick for it, but it's all in good humor. The other togs use mainly Canon's and Nikon's (no shock there, and they take the mick out of each others systems more than they do mine) and a couple of Sony's but there are now at least 2 other people with M43 cameras at the club and more interested due to the form factor... maybe more after tonight!

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
Congratulations Chris and well deserved. Some great images there, the bat image wouldn't load for me for some reason.
Weird, the image was in there the other night! I've deleted it and put it back in so should be working now. And thanks for the congrats... need to keep up with the quality of your images!

Phil.H

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Weird, the image was in there the other night! I've deleted it and put it back in so should be working now. And thanks for the congrats... need to keep up with the quality of your images!
The bat image is showing for me now Chris. Your fellow camera club members will have to up their game or find a way to get you banned :)

Paulb123

Mu-43 Regular
A great set of photos and each one so different. I particularly like what you have done to the llama (or alpaca) and can see why that is a super winner. What a shot! What a set of shots!

corleyjeff

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Jeff
Thanks for showing the really excellent photos.
They are a good antidote to the GAS syndrome I am now suffering.
There must be a good reason to drag full frame ( miniature size in my film days) kit around other than derision or condescension from " good" photographers or photo workshop leaders. It must be bragging rights !!!
Jeff

CD77

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Chris
The bat image is showing for me now Chris. Your fellow camera club members will have to up their game or find a way to get you banned :)
Glad it’s showing now. I think I hit a night with a judge that liked my style, what I need now is to consistently impress different judges on a more regular basis in the monthly comps... a much more difficult task! That said, I’m hoping for the same judge again at next years annual!

Brownie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tim
Glad it’s showing now. I think I hit a night with a judge that liked my style, what I need now is to consistently impress different judges on a more regular basis in the monthly comps... a much more difficult task! That said, I’m hoping for the same judge again at next years annual!
Or you could stop second-guessing your wins and just realize you make good photographs!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom