Burning questions on E-M10 and videography

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by sin77, Dec 14, 2014.

1. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Hi All
    I have too many insomnia burning questions to ask here. Many are related to videography which my wife is exploring now on top of photography.

I shot my videos in 3:2 format using a micro4/3 camera, Olympus E-M10.
    However, after I have edited them in the latest version of Windows Movie Maker, the top and bottom part of the video was chopped off.
    I have tried different settings in the software to make the videos in widescreen (16:9) and standard (4:3) format. All turn out same, with the top and bottom chopped.
    Any idea how to prevent this from happening? Or is there alternative free software quite similar to the user-friendly Windows Movie Maker? I can't handle Adobe Premiere Pro as it is too complicated. Will the default software (Olympus Viewer?) that comes with my E-M10 fit the bit?

Should I turn on OIS on my 35-100 f2.8 or the IBIS for stills and videos?
    Previously someone posted that this lens is having jittering issue when shooting video. Will it solve the problem if I use IBIS instead? However, if I use IBIS, it seems that there is more distortion of fast moving subjects.
    Even in still photography, I believe there should be some difference. As read in other thread, the OIS cannot work well on tripod, unlike IBIS which is perfectly fine.

Hand Grip
    There are two types I'm looking at: Olympus ECG-1 grip and the type of hand grip which can be attached to the bottom of the camera (tripod mount). For video shooting, which one provides better wobble control for E-M10 + 35-100 f2.8?
    I am thinking the ECG-1 is more useful especially for still photography, but is the other type of grip more useful for video? Note that my budget is less than USD100 for a single item, but I try not to buy both items.

Flash Unit
    I am currently using Panasonic FL360 (yes, I am ex-owner of G3, GF2 & GF5). However, the flash refresh rate is too slow for shooting events. I am thinking of getting a better one for E-M10. If it can be wireless or having LEDs for videography, that would be even better but not absolutely necessary. I wouldn't mind a third-party brand as long as it works accurately with the E-M10 metering system.
    Having said that, I also think that the flash unit should not to be too top heavy until it gives me another set of problem. To me Nikon SB910 on D5300 is barely but acceptable; SB910 on D7100 is fine. SB910 on E-M10 which I tested is a no-go.

Thanks in advance!