Burning fossil fuel in Dynoland!!

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by roverT, Dec 4, 2011.

1. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hey guys,

So I went on my first picture taking adventure with my new to me, GF2 and kit 14-42 lens. My dad and I got our vehicle's tested for power and to see what the effects of high mileage can do to an engine.

Lighting was very challenging to say the least. One arc light in the garage with bright light outside of the building. The light was dim inside and I ran it at 800ISO using the fastest aperture this lens could give me at any focal range for handheld shots. Having a 20mm F1.7 would have been handy in that situation as most of my pictures suffered motion. I had to keep image stabilization on as it was sharper than without due to slow shutter speeds. I did use JPG mode and in Photoshop I just did some colour correction that was so minor as the colour was just about what I wanted out of the camera. I brightened a few pictures up to counter the faster shutter speed I needed for a clearish shot. And used smart sharpen to clear up some shots that were a tad soft to my liking. I changed the default picture settings in the camera to reflect the LCD panel's colour and I set noise reduction to -2.

If any of you guys have any advice on what I could do better in these challenging scenarios let me know. I know every camera has it's strengths and weaknesses and I have become adaptable to each camera's personality. I'm just in the middle of learning this camera and it's lens! Maybe I did fine and I'm just particular with my work and learning this camera.....so....here goes!

1. The arrival:
    [​IMG]

2. Exhaust for your exhaust:
    [​IMG]

3. Exhaust exit:
    [​IMG]

4. Strapped in tight:
    [​IMG]

5. Industrial strength ventilation:
    [​IMG]

6. Seatbelts Fastened, Tray Tables up, Seat back in the upright position:
    [​IMG]

7. Mission control:
    [​IMG]

8. Aligning Dad's ride:
    [​IMG]

9. We all need to breathe:
    [​IMG]

10. G-Style position:
    [​IMG]

11. Analyzing and texting??
    [​IMG]

12. Etched Rollers friendly for slicks:
    [​IMG]

13. The Tuning Bay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

More than I ever wanted to know. :cool: Just kidding. I found your pictorial quite interesting. Enjoyed your perspective as well. :thumbup:

3. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Do tell. What data did you acquire regarding your machines?:smile:

4. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Data I acquired was that my car which is 9 years old has suffered a loss of 3% in power overall which is pretty strong for something with close to 150,000 miles on it! My dad's 540i seemed to have suffered the most loss at 15%. It maybe because it needs a major tune up, maybe because it has 20K more miles on it, maybe because it's 15 years old. But they all performed well nonetheless!

I think this camera is going to be a gem once I figure out it's nuances compared to the camera's I've been so used to using.

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I especially like the 2nd pic. Great use of a wide-angle.