1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Burned?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Joltinjess, Jul 14, 2014.

1. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    All the stars have aligned and it's time for me to finally buy a used e-m5. I'll most likely be getting a used unit off the buy and sell on this site. Has anyone here been burned buying used before? I've seen some great deals on here before from people with a feedback score of 0. Any hints, tips and everyday wisdom.?

2. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I have had excellent experiences buying and trading here, FWIW.

3. tornado

tornado Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Bought a 25mm f0.95 Voigtlander Nokton from this site's B&S...was as close to perfect as one could hope. Price was great and shipped quickly.

But, like anything else, Your Mileage May Vary....

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    YMMV of course, but my experience has been totally positive!

5. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Never had a bad experience, other than one slow shipper.

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    My recommendation is to look at the seller's post history as it relates to buying and selling. Search their username beyond this forum. I've been a bit frustrated on a couple of things where people seemed to be flipping gear. I want to buy from someone who was clearly using it and understands any issues, not someone who picked it up cheap (maybe for a good reason) and is trying to make a few quick bucks on the re-sell.

I'd be less worried about feedback, I think. If you follow common sense rules and use standard PayPal (no gift payments) then you are pretty well covered.

• Like Like x 1
  7. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I've had really good experiences buying used. I bought a E-M5 used locally that was a refurb that was bought at B&H. It has had no issues so far and I've taken about 5000 shots with it. It came with a used 17 2.8 which works flawlessly. I have also bought used 45 1.8 from Fred Miranda buy and sell and a 40-150 from either this forum or Fred Miranda. Both are great trouble free lenses. The only issue I had was half my fault where the 40-150 I bought without seeing the picture of it and the ad described it as 40-150R. I told the person and they felt so bad that they sent me $20 back. Like others have said just check posts and feedback (if they have it), make sure you get to see the pictures that you want to see of the item, and don't use paypal gift if you feel uncomfortable.

For E-M5 used specifically I would make sure to get images of the shutter count screen and the error check screen, close-ups of the bezel around the screen where the screws go in looking for cracks (I actually have the cracks and it's fine functionally), and get a picture of the lcd and the efv being illuminated before you buy. When you get it just check it over very well. And don't be alarmed if unpowered the sensor looks crooked or out of place since the 5-axis needs power to hold the sensor where it goes ( I freaked myself out at first ...lol). E-M5 is a great camera and you're right amazing deals are out there to be had.

Happy shopping!
    -Eli

• Like Like x 1
  8. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    I've bought several things from members here, and all of the transactions have been very good. I've also bought used cameras and lenses on eBay with minimal problems (bought one legacy macro lens that decided it wasn't going to work after a few shots -- the seller accepted the return, but I had to pay return shipping.) eBay has a very good buyer protection plan now, but it does involve time periods for trying to work things out with the seller and so forth, so it can be a while before you get a refund.

I think Fred Miranda doesn't let you buy or sell anything unless you have a large number of forum posts there (Edited: it's a minimum of 25 posts and 4 months of forum membership before you can reply to posts or PM somebody).

It's worth keeping an eye on keh.com, too. They don't usually have a large inventory of m43 stuff, and you might get a better price here, but it's worth checking.

9. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

I think you're right about the selling at Fred Miranda requiring a bunch of posts, but I know you can buy with pretty much no posts. I think I had less than 10 posts there and bought. I don't have many more than that now... Lol. Good point about keh too.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The best people to buy equipment from are those who shoot for hobby only, swap gear frequently, tend to shoot single shot/raw, and are in the professions of either healthcare or engineering. I say that, because they're usually the most OCD when it comes to keeping their equipment flawless! They tend to buy new, because they can't stand imperfections and sell at low prices in order to turn over gear quickly to buy the latest and greatest! :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    :redface::redface::redface:

• Like Like x 1
  12. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Emily
    As of March 6, 2014, Fred Miranda put this policy into effect:

Apparently they've been having trouble with scammers. Still, it's a bummer for those of us who are trying to learn photography, and don't yet have a lot to contribute in the way of meaningful/helpful criticism or impressive images. (Which somehow hasn't stopped me from getting to 100 posts here -- not sure what that means.)

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    There are some good tips here: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=30680#post291904

• Like Like x 1
  14. emorgan451

emorgan451 Mu-43 Veteran

That is a bummer! I think the last time I was on there was right after Christmas. I'm glad you pointed that out. That really makes it hard for a new person to feel welcome. Just another reason this forum is awesome...

15. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    Thanks everyone. I'm halfway through a deal for a E-m5 and 12-50mm. I checked the persons past posts, verified their ebay account (that had great numbers), got some extra pictures sent to me, and made sure that we're doing regular pay pal. I feel much better about the whole deal now!

16. GeBathan

GeBathan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    Los Angeles CA
    Gerard
    Well said :rolleyes: