Burn RAW files to CD?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by BlairMacKay, Jun 5, 2010.

1. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Hi all, I was wondering if anyone here knows which program I can use to burn RAW files to a CD/DVD?

I am using a GF1 and Windows Vista (unforunately:( ), and need to free up some memory card space. I have the pics backed up on on external harddrive but I would like to have them on a few CDs too.

Thanks for your help!

2. tybeck

tybeck New to Mu-43

Jun 6, 2010
    They're just data files like anything else. You can use any program you'd normally use to burn a CD. I like DeepBurner since it's easy to use and free. EasyCD Creator and Nero are popular products and I believe XP had the capability build into it. I've always found the build in method a bit cumbersome an end up using a program anyway.

3. BlairMacKay

BlairMacKay Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Calgary, Alberta
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't think it would too difficult, but the program on this computer won't do the job.

I will give one of them a try.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Try Googling 'free DVD burner'. I find ImgBurn good although I also use Nero 10. I'd suggest DVDs as they are about the same price as CDs and hold 5 times as many files.

Not sure how long you want to archive but standard disks do have a limited life and costlier archive quality ones are available.

A final thought you might consider burning a second copy as .dng files in case .RW2 are not supported in the future. Adobe DNG converter is free.

5. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Ummm... there's something going on here. Even Vista on its own has no problems burning raw files to DVD or CD. It will even do disc spanning.

Having said that almost every store bought PC has some sort of burning software included. Tell us what you have loadedon your computer by the mabufacturer and we may be able to sort out any issues you are having. If you can't find any burning software or don't know what to look for give me the model number of your PC and I'll find out what is loaded at the factory.

Gordon