Bump

woof

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When I try a quick reply or even a new post in a thread where I was the last person to post... so for example, I do a bump for updates in a for sale thread, the content of the post is appended to the previous post as an update, and this does not have the effect of moving the thread "up."

I may have missed an announcement, and if so, please feel free to pouint me to that. However, given how most forums work and how common it is to bump for updates, I am not certain that this functionality will go over well.

Seaain

tosvus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
When I try a quick reply or even a new post in a thread where I was the last person to post... so for example, I do a bump for updates in a for sale thread, the content of the post is appended to the previous post as an update, and this does not have the effect of moving the thread "up."

I may have missed an announcement, and if so, please feel free to pouint me to that. However, given how most forums work and how common it is to bump for updates, I am not certain that this functionality will go over well.

Seaain

You need to have a certain number of hours between 2 consecutive posts. This is to avoid people bumping their own threads to the top all the time.

woof

Mu-43 Top Veteran
You need to have a certain number of hours between 2 consecutive posts. This is to avoid people bumping their own threads to the top all the time.

The number of hours was about 24 between posts. If not, my previous post was yesterday and my new post was today. I was surprised, but I am not wrong.

Have a look here: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=72876&p=734694#post734694

Look at the date for the post overall, then check the edited date. And NO, I did not edit it. I entered the new post through Quick Reply. Then I erased the appended content and created a new post through use of Reply to Thread . That behaved the same. It appended to the previous message.

Both behaved the same. They appended to the message from yesterday.

Seaain

woof

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Test...

And, inasmuch as I have been in IT for 25+ years as a developer, tech lead and enterprise architect, I thought I'd run a test. the period of time to which you refer in THIS forum is 30 seconds. And what is more, when I ran the test represented by this message ... (before editing it to add this content), it did not append to the previous message - despite the fact that the previous message was the last message in the thread and was quite new.

From this I can conclude the following:

1. There is some kind of special functionality in the Marketplace forum - as described;
2. Since I bumped quite recently to good effect in that forum, I can only surmise that this functionality is relatively new.

Oh, and just for fun, I've added a few more tests to the message in Marketplace and linked above. I have started adding timestamps to illustrate the matter, since the edited text while accurate is misleading and applies to real edits, not updates.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
I'm not aware of having made any changes affecting this behavior. We did recently change servers, and I am in the process of squashing some bugs related to that move. We'll have to see whether the behavior you're noticing persists after the dust has settled. Thanks for pointing it out.

Amin

Mu-43 Legend
From this I can conclude the following:

1. There is some kind of special functionality in the Marketplace forum - as described;
2. Since I bumped quite recently to good effect in that forum, I can only surmise that this functionality is relatively new.

I had a look at your post and checked the settings again. That forum only allows bumping every 24h. It has been that way for a long time.

woof

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sorry for the trouble. Thanks for the clarification. Must have tried to bump close to but not at 24 hrs. Appreciate it/.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If the bumping period was 23 hours instead of 24 it would be possible to usefully bump a thread at the same time each day, instead of needing to push the time back and back each bump.
Just saying.
(Something I noticed playing Skyrim)

Latest threads

Top Bottom