1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Bulk resizing

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Roger, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I have quite a few pictures to resize and am wanting to do them in groups rather than individually. Is this possible?

2. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    I use FastStone Photo Resizer. It's a free download and works terrific. There's a small learning curve, but once you figure it out it's easy and it gives lots of options. Convert, rename, resize huge batches at once.

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Yes, it is possible. Windows or Mac?

--Ken

4. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    That was my first recommendation, but it does not run on a Mac OS.

--Ken

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Photoshop and even PS elements will batch resize.

Just tested and you can resize multiple images with preview. Open then and then select them all and then to "tools - adjust size" pick the size you want and they are converted. You have to save them one at a time unless you simply want to save all.

6. thelaxong

thelaxong Mu-43 user

Jan 13, 2011
    Melbourne - Australia
    Not sure about MAC but on Windows I use a freeware program Irfanview

It's quite quick and it can also re-size & re-name in batch.

7. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Thanks for the good tips. I have Photoshop, although I'm not comfortable with it yet, and I'll check out other two programs.

8. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Thanks again for the responses. I have tried both FastStone Photo Resizer and Irfan View. They save hours. I resized over 60 images in probably less than a minute. I think I like FastStone better.

9. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    It is like the software equivalent of a Swiss Army knife! I always have a copy on any machine that I use for photographic work.

--Ken

10. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Acd See for me...

sent from my Xperia Z

11. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Despite having a near-allergic reaction to anything involving programming, I've been using Automator lately on Mac OS X for handling various image and PDF batch jobs - it's really not that hard to get into and very flexible. A major bonus is that it's already installed on most systems, and free :thumbup:! A second bonus is that almost anything you want to do has been done before - just Google it! A third bonus is that it works blisteringly quick, and takes almost no time to open up (cough, cough, Photoshop, cough...:smile:)

Try this for a start: 10 Awesome Uses for Automator Explained | Mactuts+

12. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I use Irfanview for viewing photos. It is very good, always updated, has a lot of keyboard shortcuts, doesn't take much RAM or processor, has an editor built in and is free. I batch resize all my photos through that. Once in a while if I take a 16MP shot that's blurry instead of deleting I resize to 5MP and it looks fine enough to keep.